Image Map Image Map

Thread: FS: 386/486 Combo Board with VLB, 4 MB RAM, 64K Cache, Repaired/Tested/Working

Default FS: 386/486 Combo Board with VLB, 4 MB RAM, 64K Cache, Repaired/Tested/Working

link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273068686526

Another one saved from the scrapheap. This one had some seriously heavy battery damage, as seen in the pictures. I figured it was worth saving since it was a pretty nice board, having a soldered 386DX-40, 486 socket, and VLB support. Had to replace the keyboard socket, keyboard controller IC socket, and AT power connector. It does require parity RAM.

Excellent board. If someone would want to use the board as a 486, are there jumpers that need to be set as well? Also, did you jump wires to the appropriate spots as well that were damaged on top from the battery? The board looks great as well. This is why we need people like you to restore, repurpose, and test motherboards. Kudos to you, my friend.

Edit: found info about the board. Here's the link to the jumpers if anyone's interested: http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/48...495sx.txt.html
    Last edited by retro-pc_user; February 14th, 2018 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks for the link on the jumper configuration!

I don't recall off the top of my head if this board required extensive trace repair, but yeah, I do trace repair when required, and several of the boards I have listed (now or in the past) have included somewhat extensive repair with 30 gauge Kynar wire.

I've been doing this level of board repair for years, mostly for industrial customers. I've started going through and redoing motherboards that come with other lots of equipment since they're otherwise junk -- I've found very few other hobbyists/hackers are willing and/or know how to dig that deeply into a motherboard, especially if they can find a replacement on eBay. Of course, in the industrial control world, boards are often not replaceable, so figuring out how to clean up real messes is just part of life

I recently bought a board very similar to this one. It arrived with its BIOS ROM missing. I wonder if I could prevail on you to dump the contents of yours and send me a copy, before you send it to its new owner?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, here's the ROM dump, Intel HEX format:

ftp://filedump.glitchwrks.com/rom_du...2_OPTi_495.hex

This was in a 27C512 EPROMs.