Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MY top 10 IBM PC rare product chart

Default MY top 10 IBM PC rare product chart

So here is my chart of rare IBM PC products according to my experiences (1 is extra rare, 10 is semi rare )

1. IBM 5175 monitor - This is pure inferno. Even pictures on whole internet not exist. Ok there are some blurry pictures on MZD database but its very poor. How much these monitors was manufactured? 50!?
    2. IBM PC rev.A with serial number less than 50000. I never saw it.
    3. IBM PC AT motherboard type II, I never saw it, never found any pictures
    4. IBM 32k and 64k Memory Expansion cards, never saw on ebay. Pictures of 32k card not exist.
    5. IBM PGC graphics card - ok this is way better, its very rare and expensive, but there are good pictures and sometimes its on ebay.
    6. IBM PC 5161 expansion unit and its two cards + cable - very hard to find and expensive
    7. IBM EGA graphics card with Graphics Memory Expansion Card especially memory expansion card is pretty rare
    8. Tandon TM-100-1 - IBM single side floppy drive, pretty rare thing. I guess they were supplied only few months after IBM PC introducing
    9. IBM 5154 monitor - first EGA monitor, pretty expensive, $350-500 worth
    10. IBM 256KB Memory Expansion Option - not very common card

Special place is for working CMI 6426 hard drive

So what do you say?
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5154 monitor, IBM EGA Graphics Memory Expansion Card, IBM PC screws,
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    So here is my chart of rare IBM PC products according to my experiences (1 is extra rare, 10 is semi rare )

1. IBM 5175 monitor - This is pure inferno. Even pictures on whole internet not exist. Ok there are some blurry pictures on MZD database but its very poor. How much these monitors was manufactured? 50!?
    2. IBM PC rev.A with serial number less than 50000. I never saw it.
    3. IBM PC AT motherboard type II, I never saw it, never found any pictures
    4. IBM 32k and 64k Memory Expansion cards, never saw on ebay. Pictures of 32k card not exist.
    5. IBM PGC graphics card - ok this is way better, its very rare and expensive, but there are good pictures and sometimes its on ebay.
    6. IBM PC 5161 expansion unit and its two cards + cable - very hard to find and expensive
    7. IBM EGA graphics card with Graphics Memory Expansion Card especially memory expansion card is pretty rare
    8. Tandon TM-100-1 - IBM single side floppy drive, pretty rare thing. I guess they were supplied only few months after IBM PC introducing
    9. IBM 5154 monitor - first EGA monitor, pretty expensive, $350-500 worth
    10. IBM 256KB Memory Expansion Option - not very common card

Special place is for working CMI 6426 hard drive

So what do you say?
    what happened to all the other replies on this thread? why does it say it was posted today!?

Anyway I mentioned in my missing reply that I thought I had two 256KB memory boards, turns out I have two 64-256KB memory boards, see photo. Are these the same thing or not rare at all?IMG_20180214_192545582.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    what happened to all the other replies on this thread? why does it say it was posted today!?

Anyway I mentioned in my missing reply that I thought I had two 256KB memory boards, turns out I have two 64-256KB memory boards, see photo. Are these the same thing or not rare at all?IMG_20180214_192545582.jpg
    There was a roll-back on forum, almost all threads from 14.2. are wiped...

These cards are 64-256k not very rare.

This is 256k card

ibm_256KB_memory_card_6407740.jpg
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5154 monitor, IBM EGA Graphics Memory Expansion Card, IBM PC screws,

I have a 5175 in the original Box, and a couple of PGC cards. Even have the technical manual for it in the IBM PGC. Will get some pictures. I got 3 monitors and cards "in gratitude" for writing software for a colleague- a long time ago. The software controlled (pinky to lip), LASERS.

I used to do a lot with the PGC, wrote all of my own software. I used the bit-plane masks to run animation with a custom Satellite orbit generator. Satellites flying over fixed maps, NOAA imagery projected onto the map, all sorts of projections. Really pushed a Zenith Z-241 to the limit. RM Fortran-77 with lots of overlays using PLINK-86. If anyone saw Hidden Figures, the core of the orbitology code goes back to the 1960s, "PPT2" and "PPT7" Color Print- Nikon F3HP with Ektachrome and a 200mm lens. Well before Dye-Sub printers were available.

Have this photo uploaded- the two PGC cards.

Professional Graphics controllers by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I had Orchid PGA cards custom modified to output NTSC. Custom PROMS with extra command sequences. Wrote a custom driver to do stop-frame animation on a Panasonic TQ-2026 Video Disk Recorder. The control was via RS232. Cost about $20K or so, the disks were $100 each. Much cheaper than some of the juke-boxes that I've tacked onto a PC.
    Last edited by BrianS; February 15th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

Can you post some pictures of the PGC Im very curious about that card(s)!

See [here] also.

Did the pictures of the two cards not show up?

I found my code for reading in 3-band satellite imagery, 8-bits per pixel, so 24-bit images. Wrote a code to place them into a cube and pick out 256 colors to best represent the color map. Used a Batcher sorting algorithm and computed the distance between neighbors to generate the 256 "paint colors". Also used the run-length encoded image-write for the PGC to save time writing to the screen. Things we did in the 80s to display a color image on a PC. The Gould Deanza IP8500 was ~$80K, a Ramtek 9465 was ~$50K. So doing this on a PC, animation on a PC- much cheaper than doing the computations on a VAX 11/780 with attached image processor. And it fit on my desk. The VAX and image processors- they were big. Some of the subroutines I still use, after 40 years of writing in Fortran- you build up a personal library.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    See [here] also.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    I was answering the, "Im very curious about that card(s)!" portion, because curiosity usually goes beyond pictures.
    Maybe I should have not included the, "Can you post some pictures of the PGC" portion.

I have a 5175 in the original Box,
    Lucky you!. Can you take some pictures?

I found my code for reading in 3-band satellite imagery, 8-bits per pixel, so 24-bit images. Wrote a code to place them into a cube and pick out 256 colors to best represent the color map. Used a Batcher sorting algorithm and computed the distance between neighbors to generate the 256 "paint colors". Also used the run-length encoded image-write for the PGC to save time writing to the screen. Things we did in the 80s to display a color image on a PC. The Gould Deanza IP8500 was ~$80K, a Ramtek 9465 was ~$50K. So doing this on a PC, animation on a PC- much cheaper than doing the computations on a VAX 11/780 with attached image processor. And it fit on my desk. The VAX and image processors- they were big. Some of the subroutines I still use, after 40 years of writing in Fortran- you build up a personal library.
    When I replied with "Can you post some pictures of the PGC Im very curious about that card(s)!" the images were not showing up on the thread for me,, chock it up to the site being disabled most of the day.