Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: MY top 10 IBM PC rare product chart

Thumbs up

The IBM Tandon TM-100-1A (Single Sided, Full Height, 160k) drives aren't that rare. I know a guy that has five of them for $35 each. They even have the original protective cardboard inserts. Check it out.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, the IBM PC AT rev 2 motherboard shouldn't be that rare. I saw what I thought was one on eBay a couple of weeks ago. To my knowledge, this is what the rev 2 motherboard looks like compared to the rev 1.
    Rev 1 on left, rev 2 on right.
    IBM_PC_AT_5170_System_Board.jpgiu.jpg
    There's also a 5161 on eBay right now. It's a bit pricey, but has both cards and drives.
    Finally, you should probably also add the maybe the IBM 3270 PC but definitely the IBM PC/370 to your list. If you didn't already know, these were special PC XT's that could emulate 3278 Terminals, and in the case of the PC/370, also a system/370. I have only seen the IBM 3270 PC on eBay occasionally, and have never seen the IBM PC/370 ever. If anyone's interested, I'm in the process of restoring an IBM 3270 PC, model 5271, and plan to sell it when I'm done. It has the original keyboard, PN: 6110344, as well as the original color monitor, model 5272.
    Last edited by willmurray461; June 12th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.

The Intel Inboard 386/PC accelerator cards (with CPU cable) come up from time to time, but they are expensive too (upwards of $500+). Much more rare is the 4MB memory expansion daughter card for the Intel Inboard/386 which I do have and is needed to run Windows 3.x well. Even more rare is the special edition of Windows 3.0 specifically created for the Inboard/386 - I think I might have the only complete boxed set (disks and doc) in existence, but a copy of the disk images are available online on WinWorld "-)

Another rare board set is the Intel ActionMedia II DVI capture and display cards (came in ISA and MicroChannel flavors (along with cables and drivers) - these were very expensive back in the 80's (I have a complete ISA set); it was the first card that could digitize video on an ISA machine.

One thing I always looked for and never found was a memory expansion daughter card for the Intel Above Board (PC version) - did Intel ever ship/sell any?

Regards,
    Mike

IBM PC 5160 early motherboard with 5000026 / 5000026 BIOS is very rare.
    I think this seems to be more rare than IBM PC 5150 early rev.1 with 5700051 BIOS.

I have 2ea of it and repaired correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    The IBM Tandon TM-100-1A (Single Sided, Full Height, 160k) drives aren't that rare. I know a guy that has five of them for $35 each. They even have the original protective cardboard inserts. Check it out.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, the IBM PC AT rev 2 motherboard shouldn't be that rare. I saw what I thought was one on eBay a couple of weeks ago. To my knowledge, this is what the rev 2 motherboard looks like compared to the rev 1.
    Rev 1 on left, rev 2 on right.
    IBM_PC_AT_5170_System_Board.jpgiu.jpg
    There's also a 5161 on eBay right now. It's a bit pricey, but has both cards and drives.
    Finally, you should probably also add the maybe the IBM 3270 PC but definitely the IBM PC/370 to your list. If you didn't already know, these were special PC XT's that could emulate 3278 Terminals, and in the case of the PC/370, also a system/370. I have only seen the IBM 3270 PC on eBay occasionally, and have never seen the IBM PC/370 ever. If anyone's interested, I'm in the process of restoring an IBM 3270 PC, model 5271, and plan to sell it when I'm done. It has the original keyboard, PN: 6110344, as well as the original color monitor, model 5272.
    Can you please upload somewhere picture of type 2? Here it is very small, thanks.
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM EGA Graphics Memory Expansion Card, IBM PC screws,
    My IBM PC hardware collection

I have been pretty lucky with my EGA stuff.

I bought a 5154 off ebay. The lister posted a picture of it with a scrambled image, but the image otherwise looked sharp. I figured he was feeding it an incompatible source, and it turns out I was right! I got it cheap, and it works great, except for a slight buzzing sound until it warms up.

I also got an EGA adapter with daughter RAM board for a good price on ebay, listed as not working. I plugged it in, and got nothing but a white display. Pulled it apart, and examined the daughter board, and all looked okay. I pulled all the RAM chips from their sockets, to examine and reseat them. Then I discovered that one of them had been inserted BACKWARDS! I ordered a replacement RAM chip, and plugged it in, and it worked!

I'm probably all done with my lifetime supply of good-luck on ebay.

Just curious, has anyone ever seen a memory add-on daughter board for an Intel Above Board? I've never, ever even seen one for sale.

Mike

here are links to the pictures on google drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgE...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cgL...ew?usp=sharing
    The obvious difference is that rev 2 is a lot smaller than rev 1. Just look at the space below the keyboard port on rev 1, and then rev 2.

Hi,

yes, Expansion Units 5161 are rare and XT/370s, too. But I've seen those from time to time and have both (but both were not in original config).

Only once so far, I've seen an IBM P390 card (from an IBM PC Server 500) - or even a P390E card (from IBM RS/6000). This is the next gen version of the PC/370, featuring a microchannel I/F and an IBM /390 architecture (31bit instead of 24bit) - really rare.

But there is a minor upgrade to the XT/370 as well - called AT/370 with a PC/370-P2 card (16 bit ISA bus compared to 8 bit for the PC/370-P). Even Google cannot find a lot. Extremely rare. Let me know, if you have one (or a P390_).

Best regards,
    Fritz

I have all of them through the P390, except the A74/370 development vehicle (just a couple prototype host interface boards and some software scraped off a failing hard drive). No P390E.

Pre-GA PC/370 boards (384k)
    XT/370
    AT/370
    7437 VM Technical Workstation
    RS/370
    RS/390

The AT/370 isn't a minor upgrade. VM/PC 2.0 has significant enhancements over 1.x, and requires AT/370.

If somebody here bought the XT/370 board that was on eBay recently, the same seller has the chassis it came out of listed now, plus 5161 that went with it (which may still have the software on the drives).

Cooool - that includes a few really rare items
    I guess google did find your AT/370 ?

“minor upgrade“ was about the hardware, most of the CPU board seems pretty unchanged (concluded from photos) - just going to 16 bit I/O. Performance should be really up through the wider interface - maybe, you can tell - but I compensated some the XT/370 I/O penalties with EMS cache. The highest I had software wise was VM/CMS r3 (VM/PC 1.10) - could run in an AT (not tested yet). I heard VM/PC 2.0 would support up to r6?