Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq Prolinea 4/66

Cool Compaq Prolinea 4/66

I have been after a 486 system for a very long time I finally found one I liked, for a doable price and so I bought it.

It's a Compaq Prolinea 4/66

486 DX2 66Mhz,
    270mb hard drive,
    and 24mb of ram.

I have been looking for something like this for quite a while.

The system works, only the CMOS is dead, just an annoyance as it detects the hard drive, loads defaults, and then requires a restart before it boots into the Windows 98 DOS that's on the hard drive.

If anyone else here is an LGR fan, you'd probably know he'd go bezerk over all these packing peanuts!

The CMOS battery, is a coin cell, but it is soldered on, so I will do my research and see if I can replace it with an external battery pack, and just connect it to the motherboard, that'd be preferable.

However, if there is no choice, and soldering and de-soldering is required I will have to take it to a professional and I have no skills there, and this costing $425 after shipping, currency exchange, and ebay and paypal fees, is too expensive to use as a soldering practice object.

I did manage to take out the single connection IDE cable, and put in an IDE cable with two connections, and have successfully connected both the hard drive, and the CD-ROM drive I put in it, however, because the drive cage uses special proprietary things for mounting drives, the cd-rom drive is mounted a little further back than it should be, as that's the only way I could fit in a screw to secure it.

I will have to look into making it fit mounted properly down the road, right now it's good to know everything is working.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Congratulations! Nice machine! Look for parts or a donor machine on eBay US. You might find one cheap. Then have someone in the US (in the community here) help ship just what you need cheap to CA.

Next to the coin cell you should find a connector to plug in an external battery back (which you can actually still get if you google the Compaq part number) and there is a jumper near the connector to switch over to the battery pack rather than the original coin cell. This was Compaq's official solution to deal with a dead CMOS battery.

The replacement pack you are supposed to buy is rated at 4.6V, but the original cell was only 3V. So I just bought a CR2032 battery holder (peanuts from ebay) and soldered a cut in half CD-ROM audio cable to it which is exactly the same pin spacing as the connector on the board. Works perfectly.

The original cell probably isn't at any risk of leaking being lithium, but I cut it out anyway.

If only Compaq had shelled out the extra few pennies to put a socket on the board rather than solder the battery on!

There is no EXT connector on my board.

Anyways I got my repair shop to de-solder the old battery, solder on on a battery socket, and it works.

I did have some issues with the sound card, so I swapped it with another, and it works. The onboard video uses a too high scan rate for my older monitor from 1992, so I got a dedicated video card from 1992, and that works great as well.

installed DOS, Windows, all drivers, everything works great!

P.S: I also got it a larger 853mb hard drive, much better than the 270mb it had before.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; March 13th, 2018 at 07:43 PM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

I picked up a prolinea 466 (no / ) the case looks a little different.

Mine would hang during post tests but wiping the CMOS and giving it a good clean solved that issue.
    I like you had a board with a flat battery. I opted to desolder and replace the battery with a button cell holder. The battery was of the 3 pin type ( 2pins on one end) and the motherboard lacked the optional extra hole to support the 2 pin holder. However the battery holder dropped right into the holes slightly skewed without any issue.

The holes are quite large so desoldering is quite easy, solder wick or even a hand held spring pump will clear the holes easily.

I figure $10 at the recycler was a more than fair price for the machine.