Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8080 TTL Project

Default 8080 TTL Project

Hi All;

After some encouragement from another member here on this forum..

I am sharing what I have been up to since late last fall..

I have been Wire-wrapping on two boards, a TTL equivalent of the 8080 Microprocessor ..

I did Not do the Schematic for it myself, It is from another (now ) friend online..

I have wanted to do this, since about the 1980's and I tried it once and failed, this time I am making some sure progress..

I am almost ready to try some simple individual Instructions on it and see if they will work or if there are more Bugs to find in the circuitry..

This is just the beginning of the Debugging mode..

Once, I either get this done or go with it as far as I can with it, then I will return to my other Pet project, my PDP 11/45..

THANK YOU Marty

Bit-slice design similar to the 2900-series one AMD published?

Hi Marty, and welcome back!

Your project sounds like it is appropriate for VHDL or FPGA design. I thought someone else here was helping you learn how to use some sort of CAD package in one of your past threads? That might help quite a bit with your debug effort.

Just a thought...

smp

Hi All;

Gslick, Thank You for Your suggestion.. I already have those books, and no it's not a Bit-slice design.. It's straight TTL..

SMP, It would be interesting to put it in VHDL for Simulation..

I think Daver2 had something made for the PDP 11/45 project, to help Him through Understanding the PDP 11/45..

So, Until I get permission from the person who has Designed or thought up the Schematics, I cannot share who He is, but, it is Not my design..

THANK YOU ALL Marty

Blog Entries

Are you using any logic that is post 1972? Is it TTL or LSTTL?

Hi All;

Chuck, thank You for Your Question..

I am mostly using LS parts with some As or F parts thrown in for the fun of it..

It is using the 74382 for it's ALU, but, I only have the 74381's.. I don't remember what family speed it is that He using, but mine are 74S381's..

At this point speed is NOT a consideration, so anything from plain to F would work.. I think..

THANK YOU Marty

Blog Entries

What are you using for ROM and/or PLA? I think that the 181 was probably 1973 vintage. I recall its announcement in the late 60s created quite a stir--a 4 bit ALU on a chip! That's what got people really started about speculating about a computer-on-a-chip.

Welcome back Marty!

I thought you were a bit quiet recently. I was going to send you an e-mail to see what you were up to. Now I know!

I have been somewhat busy with my day job (unfortunately) - but it does pay for the hobby!

Dave

Hi All;

Chuck, ""What are you using for ROM and/or PLA?""

Actually, in the End Design, it will have SRAM's ( Cypress CY7C199-15PC).. But, for right now, I have my old Switches and Led's Set-up..
    The SRAMS would be loaded Serially Via 74LS595's..

Daver2, Please send me an Email, and catch me up on what is happening on Your End.. Are or have You done anything to / with Your PDP 11/45 ??

Also, I now have permission to share with everyone the name of the Circuit Designer, It is Johnny "" "That crazy Swedish guy who put together 177 integrated circuits only to emulate an old 8080 cpu..." "" He stated what is in Quotes , I assume You all know who He is now..

THANK YOU Marty

Interesting. How much space does it take up? Wasn't there a terminal that had a TTL implementation of an 8080?
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.