Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: What type is drive 0 on your Model 4?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single-sided double-density 40 track

7 33.33%
  • Double-sided double-density 40 track

8 38.10%
  • Single-sided double-density 80 track (5.25" or 3.5")

0 0%
  • Double-sided double-density 80 track (5.25 or 3.5")

1 4.76%
  • HxC/Gotek/etc. flash drive

4 19.05%
  • Other (no drive, 8", etc.) - list in the thread

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 4 drive 0

Default Model 4 drive 0

I'm curious as to what configurations people have for drive 0 on their Model 4 systems.

Blog Entries

Only got one entry. My M4 boots from a floppy to a FreHd (my entry). My 4P boots directly from a M3SE (not entered in the poll).

Mike

Lots of 4D owners here!

Got three 4P's, one with no drives for parts, one with DSDD, and one with an HxC.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Lots of 4D owners here!
    Or people that upgraded to a DS drive since for a time they were inexpensive and easy to get from old IBM PCs and compatibles and you could use your old floppies. I remember back in 1985 or 1986 (I can't remember when I did it) when I upgraded to DSQD drives I replaced drive 1 first and converted my floppies and then replaced drive 0. I used the original Model 4 drives for an SBC that I expanded from a minimal system into one that could run CP/M. I have no idea what happened to it.

Leaving it at 40 track double sided solves a few pain points you have with alien disks, since you cant easily double step the drive while booting.

I have 2 4Ps. One has DS 3.5" 80-track drives and the other has 5.25" DSDD 40-track drives. But can only vote once.

I have a Model 4P with (2) SSDD drives. I was going to upgrade them to DS, but decided not to.
    Most of my software doesn't need the extra space, but for the few that do, I use my TRS80 emulators.
    Using the emulator, it is very easy to convert and test many different formats of disks for Trs80 Doses and CP/M.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    Or people that upgraded to a DS drive since for a time they were inexpensive and easy to get from old IBM PCs and compatibles and you could use your old floppies. I remember back in 1985 or 1986 (I can't remember when I did it) when I upgraded to DSQD drives I replaced drive 1 first and converted my floppies and then replaced drive 0. I used the original Model 4 drives for an SBC that I expanded from a minimal system into one that could run CP/M. I have no idea what happened to it.
    It sort-of feels moot modifying drives 0 or 1 now, given the alternate storage options. I have external DS drives, enjoy the masochism of xmodem transfers over serial (though I will get a FreHD one of these years), so drive 0 really is just for booting.

I clicked "other" because I have two answers:

1) My Model 4P has its original SSDD 40 track drives.

2) I upgraded my Model 4 gate array model with dual DSDD 40 track drives, but it normally boots from a FreHD. I made an adapter board to have both the original mask ROM and a FreHD-boot EPROM installed, with a toggle switch poking through the vents on top to let me select either ROM.