Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Extender Card

Blog Entries

Default IBM Extender Card

I purchased a 5161 in mint condition with sender/receiver cards, and have a 62 pin cable coming from the US right now.
    But unfortunately one of the cards turned out to be a serial board! So I'm kind of stuck.

Does anyone have an Extender card laying about to save my hopes and dreams?

PayPal payment, and I have a freight forwarder in the US and UK.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Blog Entries

I am in the same boat, it's frustrating having the unit and not being able to use it, if I come up with a solution, then I'll let you know.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I am in the same boat, it's frustrating having the unit and not being able to use it, if I come up with a solution, then I'll let you know.
    It's sad, have to start scouring eBay for PC's and XT's looking to find systems that just might have a card in it. A few years ago I looked at the possibility of modernizing what it would take to connect an expansion unit but it never gained enough traction.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161
    Modern Equipment: ThinkPad X61 * Alienware 15R3 Loaded

Blog Entries

Yeah I'd be keen to know if you find a solution lutiana.
    Ideally I'd like it to respond/look/behave as if it was genuine.

This 5161 (except for a little bit of paint damage on top) is pristine and still bright white. So I'm eager to get it operational,

Why can't replica cards be made? The schematics are documented.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I can't see why not, but I certainly don't have the skills to do so.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    I thought it was the availability of certain components or lack there of was the problem and no one wanted to design a PGC (is that the right term?) for it.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161
    Modern Equipment: ThinkPad X61 * Alienware 15R3 Loaded

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    I thought it was the availability of certain components or lack there of was the problem and no one wanted to design a PGC (is that the right term?) for it.

As I understand it, the only hard to get component would be the 62 pin connector, the rest is all standard and easily available logic chips.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    It's sad, have to start scouring eBay for PC's and XT's looking to find systems that just might have a card in it. A few years ago I looked at the possibility of modernizing what it would take to connect an expansion unit but it never gained enough traction.
    I think there would be enough people with XT's and PC's to warrant one being made. Cost prohibitive, but beggers cant be choosers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    As I understand it, the only hard to get component would be the 62 pin connector, the rest is all standard and easily available logic chips.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5Pcs...ceBeautifyAB=0
    $US5 from our friends in China. Pretty sure that's a match?

Edit: nevermind, that's for cables, but I did find this for PCB mounting: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pc...ceBeautifyAB=0