Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easier Gotek on Tandy systems with power-in-cable.

Default Easier Gotek on Tandy systems with power-in-cable.

Instead of modifying a power cable on my 1000HX, I simply clipped pins 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 29, 31, and 33 off of the Gotek itself. It was less trouble than counting and clipping wires in the cable itself, and lets me continue to use the original floppy cable.

They all appear to be connected to GND, and there's still plenty of GND connectors left intact after this modification.

The gotek still seems 100% functional in a standard PC as well, although I can't promise this is the case in all situations.

Bloody brilliant

I forgot to ask, did you use a 1.44 Gotek or a 720KB?

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    I forgot to ask, did you use a 1.44 Gotek or a 720KB?
    I used a 1.44 Gotek, with Flashfloppy bios for now. Here are a few photos. I have a 640kb ram expansion that may require a reworking of the power cable, I didn't want to test with it installed, they are rarer than the HX itself!

I didn't expect the gap in the faceplate, not sure exactly how to handle that, but I think a piece of black foam from a local craft shop will make it look OK-ish. I have to get the 1000hx setup software onto a 720kb floppy before I can actually test this out, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's worked so far.

power cable.jpgconnected to PLUS slot.jpgfront panel with gap.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    I used a 1.44 Gotek, with Flashfloppy bios for now. Here are a few photos. I have a 640kb ram expansion that may require a reworking of the power cable, I didn't want to test with it installed, they are rarer than the HX itself!

I didn't expect the gap in the faceplate, not sure exactly how to handle that, but I think a piece of black foam from a local craft shop will make it look OK-ish. I have to get the 1000hx setup software onto a 720kb floppy before I can actually test this out, but I'm pretty pleased with how it's worked so far.
    Also, here's how I modified my Gotek so I could continue to use the factory floppy cable:

gotek clipped.jpg

Instead of modifying a power cable on my 1000HX, I simply clipped pins 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 29, 31, and 33 off of the Gotek itself. It was less trouble than counting and clipping wires in the cable itself, and lets me continue to use the original floppy cable.

They all appear to be connected to GND, and there's still plenty of GND connectors left intact after this modification.

The gotek still seems 100% functional in a standard PC as well, although I can't promise this is the case in all situations.
    Good idea, all ODD numbered pins on standard floppy drives (and the Gotek) are Ground Pins anyway and all tied together so removing 8 pins is not going to hurt one bit.

Btw, I highly recommend paying the 11 euros for the HxC firmware, it's better in every way.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    Good idea, all ODD numbered pins on standard floppy drives (and the Gotek) are Ground Pins anyway and all tied together so removing 8 pins is not going to hurt one bit.

Btw, I highly recommend paying the 11 euros for the HxC firmware, it's better in every way.
    I have several with HXC firmware already, I didn't want to risk an HXC unit in case it all went *poof*.

I have several with HXC firmware already, I didn't want to risk an HXC unit in case it all went *poof*.
    Cool, your solution is perfect and wont go bang, as mentioned they are just extra ground lines on normal drives and losing 8 of them wont hurt a bit as their are enough left not to cause issues.

http://pinouts.ru/HD/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml
    My Retro Collection:
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD

I tried this method in the 1000 HX I've just purchased and it doesn't work. I'm running Flashfloppy 0.14 on the Gotek.

When I try to read disk A, I've a drive not ready error...If I try to use the Gotke as as the 2nd drive, the original floppy drive makes an horrible noise and doesn't work...THe gotek works very well on my Amiga 2000 test bench...

Any idea ? What are your jumper settings ? What disk images are you using ? (I tried the HXORIG.IMD converted in HFE)

Quote Originally Posted by misterdid View Post
    I tried this method in the 1000 HX I've just purchased and it doesn't work. I'm running Flashfloppy 0.14 on the Gotek.

When I try to read disk A, I've a drive not ready error...If I try to use the Gotke as as the 2nd drive, the original floppy drive makes an horrible noise and doesn't work...THe gotek works very well on my Amiga 2000 test bench...

Any idea ? What are your jumper settings ? What disk images are you using ? (I tried the HXORIG.IMD converted in HFE)
    Make sure you set the drive select correctly, on the Gotek S0 equals drive A and S1 equals drive B.
    My Retro Collection: