Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repair and Restoration Services

Yes, that might be handy to send as well.

PM me when you're ready to ship and I'll tell you where to ship it.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Completely off topic, but I was considering purchasing this Packard Bell Legend 845 as a secondary 486 PC. The seller mentioned floppy drive failure and the removal of the CMOS battery socket. While both seem easily repaired, I was troubled by this photo of some greenish-blue corrosion near the where the CMOS battery socket was and was wondering if that could be easily fixed. VCFED.jpg I was also wondering if this could have something to do with the floppy drive issues, because if so, I'll most likely reconsider buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelatedAI486 View Post
    Completely off topic, but I was considering purchasing this Packard Bell Legend 845 as a secondary 486 PC. The seller mentioned floppy drive failure and the removal of the CMOS battery socket. While both seem easily repaired, I was troubled by this photo of some greenish-blue corrosion near the where the CMOS battery socket was and was wondering if that could be easily fixed. I was also wondering if this could have something to do with the floppy drive issues, because if so, I'll most likely reconsider buying it.
    It seems to have spread beyond just the battery area to, at least, the chip adjacent to it.

If I were faced with repairing this board, I would use a firm toothbrush and some vinegar to neutralize and remove the corrosion from any of the areas around there, re-tin the battery connection vias and any other surface areas it contacted, remove that IC clean the holes, again, with vinegar and fill them with solder.

Then I'd remove the solder and replace the chip.

As for it affecting the floppy drive control, without knowing what the chip is, It's difficult to determine if it might be part of the FDC section if it even has an on-board FDC.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.