Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mindset computer set boxed on ebay

Default Mindset computer set boxed on ebay

Blog Entries

Wow.. that got expensive fast. There was a complete Mindset II that sold for less than half that recently.

Blog Entries

Wow!! $1130 with 5 days to go! Crazy! Someone with 70,000+ feedback helped drive it up. Must be a reseller. This is highly unusual.. I've never seen a Mindset set go for this much.

Perhaps packing drugs in Apple II+ cases was getting too obvious?

I know these these are quite uncommon, had some advanced features for PCs of their time, have the connection to Atari, and are obviously rather stylish... but what else is really so special about them?

Blog Entries

It's a Mindset. Enough said.

But having said that, it's a mystery it's so sought after at this point. They never commanded much value. I imagine this is Curt Vendel's auction. I know he's up in New York, not sure if it's Merrick.

Blog Entries

I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the completeness of it, the boxes, software etc. But still. A complete Mindset II system with all the trimmings sold innthe summer for $360ish. This seems way out of line.

Hopefully the buyer will be willing to dump the firmware, software and scan manuals for it... Sounds like an interesting emulation target.

Blog Entries

I don't get it. Mindset was a gigantic flop--a not-quite-PC-compatible with fast graphics. Lasted what, about a year or so?

Why so valuable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    Hopefully the buyer will be willing to dump the firmware, software and scan manuals for it... Sounds like an interesting emulation target.
    I have some manuals "scanned" somewhere. I don't have a working one but I could pull the roms and dump them. Eventually.

Blog Entries

I don't get it. Mindset was a gigantic flop--a not-quite-PC-compatible with fast graphics. Lasted what, about a year or so?

Why so valuable?
    Well, how many PC 'compatibles' reside in the Museum of Modern Art? And then there's the tie-in with ex-Atari people. Soon as you say 'Atari' and 'rare', boom.. doesn't matter the context. All they'd need after that was Jack Tramiel sneezing on it and it'd have the trifecta.

The Albert Apple II clone was also a flop, with a power supply made of peanut brittle, but people are paying $800+ for one when they come up on ebay. I lost an auction for an APF Pecos One, a computer I doubt most have ever even heard of. It went for $1600. All depends on how badly people want stuff I guess. I do wonder if there will be a bubble pop at some point though.
    Last edited by falter; March 6th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.