Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mindset computer set boxed on ebay

I think the Olivetti M20 is far more interesting. It isn't even a IBM pc compatible, although, they later sold a 8086 board that allowed early DOS stuff to run on it. The processor is a Z8000 and it is a full 16 bit processor, when the IBM was limited I8088. It was expandable to 512K ( It could be more but they did some unique things with the memory control system ). When running most applications, you had 128K of memory at one time. They did this by making it run like a Harvard architecture, at least while running BASIC. This not only increased the Data space available, it also helped to keep you from accidentally overwriting the program that was running. Still, especially for the system OS, it mapped both data and instructions into the same segment for more efficient access of disk and user memory.
    And now that we've made it run, you can even use Z8000 CP/M. Mainly it is the same as 68K CP/M as many applications were written in C so cross compiled. Still PCOS was a clever OS. Especially if you liked BASIC. You could turn key your BASIC program quite easily, either to do the entire runtime or to do special configurations like you'd do with DOS at boot. Last time I saw one on ebay, it went for $100 with monitor.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

I never could get warmed up on the Z8000. Lest I hijack the thread, if you want, post another thread and I'll tell you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    I have some manuals "scanned" somewhere. I don't have a working one but I could pull the roms and dump them. Eventually.
    That would be nice, especially if those manuals describe ASIC programming in any detail -- manuals on Bitsavers have a parts list but not much else:
    Code:
    U59	252004-005	ROM OS Lo
    U60	252004-006	ROM OS Hi

U78	253001-001	i80186
    U17	253002-001	i8042 (KP Custom)
    U--	253003-001	SG Custom
    U43	253004-001	RHB Custom (VLSI VC2030B)
    U42	253005-001	RP Custom (VLSI VC2029)
    U16	253006-001	i8042 (Sound processor)

Supervisory Processor (= Keyboard processor?) = i8042?
    Sound Processor (custom)
    Display Processor (custom)
    Graphics Processor (custom)

Blog Entries

I don't recall anything going into depth in any of the manuals. I do have the MASM manual though.

Most of the known Mindset software has been imaged including the ISV disks and Vyper, a copy of the ISV manual was scanned thanks to Bruce Damer/Digibarn
    and there is a running emulator in MAME.

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mindset
    http://bitsavers.org/bits/Mindset

Sadly, Curt confirmed that the machine that started this thread was his.
    Now we know where it went (sort of, unknown who bought it)

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    I don't recall anything going into depth in any of the manuals. I do have the MASM manual though.
    The Mindset GW-Basic manual would be good to find since it describes the SPRITE command which was unique to the machine.

Blog Entries

Al, have you dropped a line to this guy? He claims to have done the extensions for the Mindset at Microsoft.