Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mindset computer set boxed on ebay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I don't get it. Mindset was a gigantic flop--a not-quite-PC-compatible with fast graphics. Lasted what, about a year or so?

Why so valuable?
    By your logic only those units that enjoyed commercial success should be deemed valuable. The ones they made gujillions of, and as a result are the easiest to find.

What logic? He was just stating facts. I'm interested in all kinds of early PC clones, and the vast majority of them sell for small amounts on eBay, assuming they don't wind up in the trash, even if they were uncommon short-run machines.

I've never seem one before. ( maybe a good thing ). Still, it IS rare. I have a rock in my back yard that is different than any other in the world. It is even more rare. What say, $1500, must pick up.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Every rock is different from every other rock in the world. What makes yours special?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    What logic? He was just stating facts. I'm interested in all kinds of early PC clones, and the vast majority of them sell for small amounts on eBay, assuming they don't wind up in the trash, even if they were uncommon short-run machines.
    It could be they're so uncommon many people never hear of them. Something has to gain popularity before people assign a value to it. If it lacks notariety it's likely to lack appeal. And indeed he was attempting to apply logic, as it would be clear to most anyone.

Blog Entries

$1600! That's insane!!

Blog Entries

Look, there are lots of very rare PCs around. Rare ~= valuable in most cases.

It's perfectly legitimate to say "It's valuable because it looks cool"--and a valid reason, which I suspect is why the bidding has gone so high.

Blog Entries

A Vicki is much rarer then a M*. Wouldn't go for anywhere near that. I wouldn't take less then 300$ for mine. It's just virtually non existent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Look, there are lots of very rare PCs around. Rare ~= valuable in most cases.

It's perfectly legitimate to say "It's valuable because it looks cool"--and a valid reason, which I suspect is why the bidding has gone so high.
    It's likely the only early intel based box that used custom asics for graphics and sound. It's sort of a brother to the Atari ST and the Amiga. And it has cartridge ports. It's a screamer in terms of interesting. And it's look is unparalleled. There ain't much like it out there. Virtually everything else looked gameish or had the boring beige box look of the business world. There was and always will be only one Mindset. Their power supplies were horrible though. Scary horrible.

Blog Entries

The NEC APC had some very nice graphics--and actually predated the 5150. Since it was developed by NEC and licensed to Intel in a rather complicated cross-licensing agreement, the 7220 could be called an ASIC, I suppose.

http://oldcomputers.net/nec-apc.html

I almost bought one instead of a 5150. The APC was a better deal, but the architecture was closed.