Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCIE parallel port adapter--compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Got my PCIE parallel port adapters from China today. Cost me $4.99 each including shipping.

Basically, they're the same as the Parallel+2 serial adapters, simply not populated with the serial parts. Uses the WCH 382L chip, as most of these things seem to. Linux recognizes it right away and gives me /dev/lp0. I haven't tried it yet with Windows or DOS, but there's a CD that comes with driver software.
    I was thinking to make some tests with similar PCI(E) LPTs because I am curious if they can make higher throughput compared to ISA LPTs or built-in to south bridges LPTs...I need higher frequencies for my project(s) and I don't mind controlling them at other (PCI) ports under DOS. Has anybody tried their throughput?

Blog Entries

Not me--it turns out that I don't have a lot of use for parallel-port stuff anymore. Even my laser-printer talks to a Wifi box (saves running cable). I've still got a couple parallel-port EPROM programmers, but they don't require a lot of bandwidth.

About the only thing I'd need a parallel port cable for, is my Sega Genesis. There's this cable I own for it that plugs into the second controller port, and it wires to a parallel port of a PC, and what you do is boot the Sega CD to some special software, tape off a pin on the cartridges, and it ROM dumps the cartridge to the PC. Can also send data to the Genesis but with SD card equipped flash carts, that's no use to me anymore. Just ROM dumping my own games.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

FWIW, you can STILL get motherboards with LPT headers run off the LPC bus that work under DOS. Both Socket 1151 and AM4 boards can be had with them.

Blog Entries

Oh, I've got a number of boards with them, including an AM3+ board. I just wanted a printer port on a couple of boards that lack them--I felt a bit naked. For programming, I just use a Neoware thin client. Runs Linux and DOS/XP just fine and is, in at least one case, smaller than the device it's driving.

OK, I did some preliminary tests. It turns out that a PCI LPT card based on Moschip MCS9815CV outputs at twice the speed of a built-in LPT port! (1 MHz vs. 450kHz). The maximum measured now is on 440BX chipset there it goes up to 1.2MHz. No overclocking was done. I have no experience with PCI overclocking so far...