Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dictaphone Pentium 133

Cool Dictaphone Pentium 133

An eBay seller (in GA: who has great deals once in a while) accepted my low offer including shipping for a Dictaphone Pentium 133. Wait and see what it is exactly. I suspect it is a Pentium 133.

I've never heard of this "brand" before. Is it a generic clone or was the motherboard made by "Dictaphone"? Or was it made by someone else, but sold exclusively for use in this system? The case design is bland but I can't say I've seen it somewhere else. Sadly it doesn't seem to have an hard drive.
    • The only computer from my childhood that I'm missing is an Olivetti M380-40... Please help me find a solution to this problem
    • Looking for pictures of the following Olivetti computers: M380 W, M380 XP4, M400-60, M480... Complete list: http://pastebin.ca/3629976

Blog Entries

Dictaphone is an older brand for tape and digital dictation machines for personal and secretary use. If they were selling a cheap and nasty PC as a dictation machine (it doesn't even have a COAST slot socket soldered in, gross) then man, either they were desperate for money or that had some amazing recording software.
    = Excellent space heater

According to Wikipedia, "In 1995, Pitney Bowes sold Dictaphone to the investment group Stonington Partners of Connecticut for a reported $462 million. Dictaphone thereafter sold a range of products that included speech recognition and voicemail software." Apparently that "range of products" included generic white-box PCs to run said software.

Blog Entries

Ah yes, that mid-90's speech recognition fad. Gotta show off the performance of that new superscalar Pentium chip.

What kind of integrated audio chipset does it have? I can clearly see the audio in/out headers on the back.
    = Excellent space heater

This is seriously veering off topic but I have a mid to late 1981 Dictaphone Dual Display base unit that is based on an Intel 8085 CPU. I am missing the monitor and disk drives but hope to find them at some point. I would guess this ran a specialized version of CP/M with system specific word processing software and was a competitor to the IBM Display Writer system. This is a when they were still part of Pitney Bowes.

http://vintagecomputer.ca/dictaphone...isplay-system/

Coincidentally I used to work for Pitney Bowes so this brings back memories. Once I get the machine I will provide an update.

Cool

Yep! Pentium 133 CPU with 16MB RAM. ATI MOBO VGA. 256KB cache & SB16 Vibra on MOBO. Coin cell battery holder (need to remove FDD/HDD bay to get it & plug in a new unit). No HDD but I have one.

Popped in an IDE HDD. Formatting. Need to test the MOBO SB16 Vibra next. SB16 Vibra works great but has weird I/O, DMA, IRQ settings. No game port so no UART MPU-401.

Pumping data across Laplink from the Argent Technologies 486 DX 33 now.

Need to test the IDE CD-ROM also.

Tried the Philips mouse on the COM1: does not work again. Weird!

Might send a picture of the machine to my former colleagues who are still with Pitney Bowes in Stamford, CT. Quite the commute from LI, NY: I can tell you that much!

Anyway: ATI64VL on MOBO: Mach 64.

Picked up CR2032s for free @ my local Sears. They have an entire battery wall in the tools section. Used FREECASH.

CD-ROM works great. Cool: everything on this machine appears to work 100%. Nice!
    Last edited by PeterNC; March 10th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

Cool

Landmark 2.0:
    CPU: 767MHZ
    FPU: 2248MHZ
    VGA: 10570 CHR/MS

UNIVBE 1.2 does not recognize the MOBO VGA but Duke Nukem 3D runs super smooth on 800X600.
    Last edited by PeterNC; March 19th, 2018 at 06:00 PM.

I used to use a Mach 64 but when I got my current DOS tower it had a S3 Virge in it so I just left it.