Image Map Image Map

Thread: Problem with Zenith SupersPort 286

Default Problem with Zenith SupersPort 286

[edit] Oops...posted this to the wrong forum. Should be in Handhelds/Portables.

I got this Zenith SupersPort 286 off eBay a few weeks ago, and after a new internal battery and BIOS setup, it was working fine. I was installing an app (Band in a Box) that involved unzipping and copying lots of files from a floppy disk to the hard drive, and it stopped mid-installation. I turned it off, and now when I turn it on, it does not boot nor can I get to the BIOS setup screen.

When I turn it on, hereís what happens:

-Screen lights up, but I see no characters
    -Caps/Num/Pad/Scroll lock lights flash twice
    -Power light flashes twice
    -Hard drive light flashes once
    -Hard drive spins (noisy)

I tried disconnecting the hard and floppy drives, both singly and together, but nothing changed. I did a quick inspection of the power supply and didnít see any capacitor leaks, but I didnít take things apart to get a closer look. It has what appears to be the original Conner CP-3023 20 Mb hard drive and PC DOS 6.3. No battery, but the power adapter is good.

Any suggestions on next steps? For some reason, Iím drawn to these old Zenith laptops. I have a Z181 that works great, but I havenít had much luck with the few 286s Iíve tried to keep running.

Thanks!

Marty
    Last edited by Marty C; March 8th, 2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Wrong forum

Have you tried booting from a floppy?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Have you tried booting from a floppy?
    Yes, I should have mentioned I've tried booting from a DOS 3.3 floppy. When I insert the floppy, I hear a whirring sound for less than a second (is this the head moving into position?), but the lights on the drive and the keyboard don't come on, and I can't get it to boot.

If it has memory sticks, try removing and inserting them a few times.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEG View Post
    If it has memory sticks, try removing and inserting them a few times.
    I don't have the computer opened up at the moment, but I think the memory (640K) is soldered to the mother board. But, I'll check when I open it up again.

If the screen is lighting up and power is getting to the hard and floppy drives, can I assume that the power supply section of the computer is ok?

Thanks,

Marty