Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to borrow or Buy PET keyboard PCB from anyone who has one

Default Need to borrow or Buy PET keyboard PCB from anyone who has one

I am looking into getting copies made of the original commodore K - 1 PCB for the original Commodore PET 2001-8 chiclet keyboard. Anyone who has this keyboard and is willing to let me barrow or buy (or rent) the please let me know, I can pay up front. I am looking to having it sent out to a PCB maker and having duplicates made. Please PM ME

This seems like a very expensive and complex solution for an issue which doesn't occur very often (I've owned many PETs and none had a keyboard PCB beyond repair)

The PCB itself is very simple and is only 1 sided from what I recall - could it not be copied from a 1:1 scan?

Yes it is simple, and yes it is 1 sided. This one must have been in a school, it must have had cola or some other caustic solution poured over the keyboard. The springs were all rotted and the solder mask was worn away in many places. All exposed copper was green and fuzzy. After cleaning the exposed traces and pads, the copper was visibly worn and corroded. I found 9 micro fractures using continuity checking. But even a keystoke causes enough pressure to open up others I havent found.

costly, yeah im sure. But necessary. The unit works fine otherwise. What option do I have at this point?

Point to point wiring with prototyping wire will solve the PCB issue. The switches - not so sure..

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Point to point wiring with prototyping wire will solve the PCB issue. The switches - not so sure..

wont work, its a single sided board. If I used the wire on the surface the plunger tray wont mate with the pcb.

If it's a single sided board, can't you just drill through the PCB where jumper wires are needed and run them along the back?

You can get PCB rivets to use as VIAs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321982271314

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If it's a single sided board, can't you just drill through the PCB where jumper wires are needed and run them along the back?

You can get PCB rivets to use as VIAs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/321982271314
    its an option, but again the copper traces are in a sorry state, the couple points I fixed the traces (or whats left of them lift off the pcb or crumble even on lower heat)
    Trust me I am not one to give up but this board is in bad shape, and wouldnt it be a good thing to have an aftermarket option?

Aftermarket options are good if they don't cost a small fortune, as so many do in the world of vintage computers.

You could likely use your existing board as a template for a new one, you'd just have to rework the bad areas in software if you're scanning the board.

Quote Originally Posted by circuit View Post
    he PCB itself is very simple and is only 1 sided from what I recall - could it not be copied from a 1:1 scan?
    VERAULT, would a scan work? I'd like to help out with this but I prefer not to ship my board, if I can avoid it.

I think this would be a very small market, even if you made a few.

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    VERAULT, would a scan work? I'd like to help out with this but I prefer not to ship my board, if I can avoid it.

I think this would be a very small market, even if you made a few.
    Thanks snuci, If I clean all the solder mask off a scan might work but the new problem is these pcb makers need the pcb file in gerber format, I dont know how to do that.