Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MXV11 CA M8047 small system build CMD CQD and SCSI2SD

Default MXV11 CA M8047 small system build CMD CQD and SCSI2SD

I have purchased an MXV11 CA, I plan to use this as part of a small system along with a CPU and a CMD CQD 220TM. My question is, is there an operating system that I can run using only the memory on the MXV11 without adding an extra memory card? My MXV11 CA didn't come with any boot ROM's either but I'm hoping to use the bootloader on the CQD card with possibly a SCSI2SD card. Will I be able to power the SCSI2SD from the CQD card or will I also need to use the power connector?
    For those using the SCSI2SD card what version are you using?
    Thanks, Paul.

Paul,

You should be able to run RT-11 in 16KW quite well (the single job variant at any rate).

BTW I have sent you a PM.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I've replied to your PM.

I've put an 11/02 CPU (M7270) in with the MXV11. Its baud rate for the console is wired to 300 baud at the moment, Ill increase the speed further into the project. I get an ODT prompt so it has some life at least. so I have two slots in the backplane left, my plan is to put a CMD CQD in next, leaving me one slot for either more memory or a DELQA, I doubt I'll get TCP/IP working with 16KW so more likely an M8044. Ill move the CMD CQD to the last slot.

Quote Originally Posted by PG31 View Post
    Will I be able to power the SCSI2SD from the CQD card or will I also need to use the power connector?
    For those using the SCSI2SD card what version are you using?
    Thanks, Paul.
    Hi Paul, I'm using the scsi2sd card with a CQD-200TM and it powers it without having to use the power connector so I suspect that the 220TM will too.
    I got my scsi2sd card from amiga-kit. It's a very good price from there and works great. >>> Click Here <<<

Cheers

Dave

Thanks TasKiNG, is it a v5 or v6 card?

PG31,
    I don't have any direct experience with the CMD CQD card, but I do have a good bit of experience with the Emulex UC07 in PDP-11a, MicroVAXes and SCSI2SD cards. I have 12 SCSI2SD cards in various systems with various versions of the SCSI2SD cards starting with the V3 and V4 cards through the V5 and V6 cards. The V5 cards are the best in my opinion for PDP-11s and VAX. I bought two V6 cards, one of which has never worked properly in anything. The second V6 card works ok in a a PDP-11/73, but fails in a VAX when you load it hard. The performance between the V5 and V6 cards as far as I have seen so far is not significant. The one thing performance is affected by is the quality of the microSD cards. I've seen differences as much as 300% between different SD cards. I do like the concept is the V6 card that a USB front panel would be possible, but the reliability will need to improve in some future update (I'm using the Jan. 2018 update in the V6 card. Also, I like the fact that the V6 card stores the disk format on the SD card in the upper most block. Switching between cards with different formats would be very handy. However for the most part I use two V5 SCSI2SD cards on each system with multiple identical drives on each. I do backups regularly from one card to another and that has saved me from some big problems in the past. On my critical machines, I use a high quality (expensive) SwissBit card that is used in industrial systems.

As far as boot roms, on a MINC I use a BDV11 with EPROMs I programmed from a PDP-11/23+ firmware. That works on 11/03 and 11/23 CPUs. On J-11 CPUs with the UC07 no external boot roms are needed. I suspect that the firmware on the CQD card will work fine. So my advice would be to buy 2 V5 cards so you have a hot backup at all times which costs about the same as 1 V6 card. I also like to hook up external LEDs and watching the interplay of the drives doing a backup is helpful. Either SDcard is bootable and having two peripheral devices is always helpful when debugging a problem or benchmarking SDcard performance etc.

Good Luck,
    Mark

Thanks Matlock, I'll go with V5 cards. Ill order them tomorrow.
    At present my config is CPU, MXV11 and CMD CQD. I keyed in the two lines from the CMD CQD manual in ODT and I get the SCSI utility on my screen YEh!! It's really slow output because my MXV11 is strapped at 300 Baud. I'll need to make the next task while I wait for the SCSI2SD cards to rewire this for 19,200 I think.

When I run scsi2sd-monitor.exe it says it's 4.7.1

Default SCSI2SD Versions

Quote Originally Posted by TasKiNG View Post
    When I run scsi2sd-monitor.exe it says it's 4.7.1
    V4.7.1 is the latest software revision (May 1, 2017) for all SCSI2SD cards except for the HARDWARE V6 cards.

In the V6 hardware cards the latest software revision is V6.1.3 released Jan 31, 2018. The software between V6 cards and all earlier cards is not compatible.

By the way, in regard to mounting SCSI2SD cards there are some 3D printed mounts that work pretty well.

IMG_1516.JPGIMG_1518.JPG

I got the white 3D printed mount from Inertial Computing who sells SCSI2SD cards and some accessory items. Their white mount was put in a cheap black plastic 5 1/4 to 3 1/2 inch bay adapter. At first I thought about spray painting it all the same color but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Mark

I have received the SCSI2SD V5 card and connected it to my CMD CQD card, I'm running the inbuilt qualify drive test on my SCSI2SD with a 4GB SD card installed and it appears to be running ok. . I've been looking at how I get RT-11 installed on the card and I'm a little confused. I found some instructions by 8008guy. Do I copy the image with the SD card installed in my Windows PC? Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.