Image Map Image Map

Thread: Possible iMac G3 motherboard swap from years ago?

Default Possible iMac G3 motherboard swap from years ago?

I've had my G3 since August 2003, and my case was made in September of 2000. But messing around with the System Profiler, I found a serial number saying July of 2000, and a model number ending with E/A, pointing to Mexico for the intended market. Did somebody swap the board at some point? And if so, just for my amusement, do you think the original board still exists?

Thanks!
    Looking for working: ThinkPad 755CD w/P75, IBM PC110, Macintosh PowerBook 100, Tandy TRS-80 Model 100/101/102, any Compaq SFF 286/386/486

I think its the original board. Its not like they made the cases and motherboards on one huge monolithic assembly line, so a variance of up to 6 months on the dates is normal.
    They simply took a batch of boards (probably the oldest batch in local inventory) and used them for the market that needed machines.

That's what I had originally thought, but the serial numbers aren't the same. Wouldn't they have at least synchronized the serial numbers? Or were they struggling to keep up with production at that point in time?
    Looking for working: ThinkPad 755CD w/P75, IBM PC110, Macintosh PowerBook 100, Tandy TRS-80 Model 100/101/102, any Compaq SFF 286/386/486

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. 2110 View Post
    That's what I had originally thought, but the serial numbers aren't the same. Wouldn't they have at least synchronized the serial numbers? Or were they struggling to keep up with production at that point in time?
    I don't know if it was a practice Apple followed, most companies don't.

Interesting. Considering it's in software I'd assume they'd put a little more effort in to that...

Its actually a little more complicated that it might appear. Non volatile storage is generally programmed prior to chips being installed on a board, long before the board is put into a machine or a serial number label printed. So its more than a trivial undertaking, particularly for quality assurance to always endure the serial numbers match.