Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: apple I clone board, any good? Any problems getting parts? Thoughts?

Default apple I clone board, any good? Any problems getting parts? Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-1-Rep...0AAOSw5utaZLIZ

Came across this an the price is not terrible for a DIY project. What do you guys think?

haha Guess not! I assume the parts are just impossible to find in certain situations.

Blog Entries

Yeah I seem to recall from a blog years ago that while these clones are faithful to the original design it does require sleuthing for several IC's that are long out of production, especially if for example you want the white ceramic 6502, gold topped purple ceramic PIO and the white ceramic RAM chips, all of which due to various communities can set you back a few hundred dollars.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Yeah I seem to recall from a blog years ago that while these clones are faithful to the original design it does require sleuthing for several IC's that are long out of production, especially if for example you want the white ceramic 6502, gold topped purple ceramic PIO and the white ceramic RAM chips, all of which due to various communities can set you back a few hundred dollars.
    since its a clone, I couldnt care less about authenticity. Does anyone make modern equivalents to such ic's?

well, apple I used no custom IC's, more that most DIP 74, 74L stuff is no longer made. so you'd have to hit ebay.

then you have funky stuff like Signetics 2504's, CM2140N's and S2519B. The CM2140N is probably the most expensive of the three signetics chips.

http://www.applefritter.com would be the best place to check...

Blog Entries

Where does one get the PROM chips from though? I thought only a limited number were reproduced.

Blog Entries

If you just want the experience, consider skipping that next cup of Starbucks and run this cool emulator

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    well, apple I used no custom IC's, more that most DIP 74, 74L stuff is no longer made. so you'd have to hit ebay.

then you have funky stuff like Signetics 2504's, CM2140N's and S2519B. The CM2140N is probably the most expensive of the three signetics chips.

http://www.applefritter.com would be the best place to check...
    thanks, ill read up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you just want the experience, consider skipping that next cup of Starbucks and run this cool emulator
    I do love emulation, but for this particular purpose I would like to keep it as close to the original as funding allows.

Blog Entries

I assumed people used OEM parts to make that kit look authentic and then after testing it just framed it on the wall.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems