Image Map Image Map

Thread: sources for PC booter games?

Default sources for PC booter games?

There's this massive collection here but sadly it's been long gone. Luckily web archive saves the day but there's still many games unobtainable:

http://web.archive.org/web/200611171...:80/index2.htm

Is there any other sources for these booter game images?

P.S. Can you get that Hard Hat Mack image file working? It's weird 200kb and always results corrupted booting.

The forum not here to provide support for copyrighted games that you clearly do not have nor you even own-- even if you have the media, is it your own copy?

But you do make a point. Disk boot games such as the IBM PC conversion of Bounty Bob Strikes Back are completely lost. We only have a program dump of the bare minimum contents of the disk-- but not the actual image in some form, which includes a custom tailored copy of DOS 1.25, designed to boot straight into the game. I have been hunting for this release of the game for quite a while-- and I am looking to buy it from someone, if possible.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

Yep, that website used to be a good resource. I was hoping for a "Retrograde Re-instation", and even offered my help with such years ago, but I don't think it'll happen.

The thing is, especially in today's climate, such things are best done slightly further away from the public eye. Preservation projects exist, they just keep a lower profile. Besides, the images that used to be provided on that site often weren't ideal - many were modified even beyond the need of converting a copy-protected disk into a straight binary image, and some were missing functionality. If you're only looking to *play* the game, a DOS conversion is more convenient than a bootable image that doesn't really preserve the original anyway.

As for an IBM PC conversion of Bounty Bob Strikes Back - nice one, any proof that this actually exists and was officially released?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    The forum not here to provide support for copyrighted games that you clearly do not have nor you even own-- even if you have the media, is it your own copy?

But you do make a point. Disk boot games such as the IBM PC conversion of Bounty Bob Strikes Back are completely lost. We only have a program dump of the bare minimum contents of the disk-- but not the actual image in some form, which includes a custom tailored copy of DOS 1.25, designed to boot straight into the game. I have been hunting for this release of the game for quite a while-- and I am looking to buy it from someone, if possible.
    I had no idea that this was ported to IBM PC. I will keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by VileR View Post
    Besides, the images that used to be provided on that site often weren't ideal - many were modified even beyond the need of converting a copy-protected disk into a straight binary image, and some were missing functionality. If you're only looking to *play* the game, a DOS conversion is more convenient than a bootable image that doesn't really preserve the original anyway.
    Yes, since I have got a lot of cheap but new floppies bought from ebay, basically I would like to play games in their "original form" so to speak, especially my favourite games. For example, I haven't found yet Alleycat dos conversion that was normal instead of that "pirated by" title, and pc booter image looks just like original. What do you mean by modifiying beyond needs? Like adding trainers, cheats or hacks in the game? Is it possible to have perfect image copy of copyprotected pc booter game, ie. without cracking? Or is modifying necessary to bypass the protection?
    Last edited by musicforlife; March 13th, 2018 at 05:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musicforlife View Post
    Or is modifying necessary to bypass the protection?
    Yes. Most booters were copy-protected, so getting "pristine" images of them is only useful if you have a way to write them back (ie. option board, kryoflux, etc.). Most if not all of the booters offered on retrograde station were cracked in the mid- to late- 1990s.

The astute observer should be able to find the complete collection of what was on, and planned for, retrograde station.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

@musicforlife

Here is not for game related topic but PCs-and-Clones.

Why not discuss on this topic?

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisp...Vintage-Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    @musicforlife

Here is not for game related topic but PCs-and-Clones.

Why not discuss on this topic?

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisp...Vintage-Gaming

Ah, sorry about that. I always forget that there's separated gaming sub-section available. Maybe some moderator could move this thread?

Blog Entries

Or close it, if the OP can find the clue hidden in http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...748#post505748 .
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)