Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OS/2: Be or not to be?

Blog Entries

One thing about FixPacks is you don't have to install the previous ones just the latest. This can led to problems though. On my old Warp 4 install FP15 broke the system so I backed out of it and installed FP14 which worked fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    One thing you'll need is a file manager as OS/2s handling of files can be quircky. I use File Freedom. http://www.ecsoft2.org/file-freedom
    Another useful link. Thanks!

-CH-

If you prefer a text-mode file manager, there's File Commander - http://silk.apana.org.au/fc.html

BTW, OS/2 Warp 4 and OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business were later available as "Convenience Packs", ie. integrated with latest FixPacks.

All you need is at http://www.os2site.com/.

Please read http://www.os2site.com/0.readme.txt as you have to get a username/password if you didn't use an OS/2 operating system for browsing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your suggestions. After more reading I have decided to build the machine around the '586 VLB mobo and to run the disk system as HPFS on a 20 Gb SCSI drive from the DTC Vesa SCSI controller. At this point I do not intend to integrate either MS-DOS or Windows with the system; as this is sort of a test drive / learning experience. OS/2 with training wheels.

I have read (here: http://www.edm2.com/index.php/OS/2_W...tween_Versions) that the HPFS can support up to 512 Gb in version 3.0 and I guess I'll find out if that's so. As far as the mobo CMOS is concerned there is no HD; this was recommended by the DTC documentation. Presumably the DTC BIOS will handle the cylinder-head-sector translation.

The machine is booting from a 1.4 Mb DOS floppy at the moment; the DTC controller is recognizing the HD, installing its BIOS and then booting the FD but as my Warp installation materials are on CD I am waiting for the arrival of a SCSI CD ROM before I begin installation, which would entail partitioning and formatting the HD. Limbo for now...

Thanks again,

-CH-

For what it's worth, the floppy disk images for installing are on the CD. I think in \INSTIMGS. Also included is the xdfcopy utility you can use to write them out from DOS.

If it's just a matter of waiting for a CD-ROM you already bought to arrive, it's probably not worth doing. But if you haven't yet found a CD-ROM drive, that'll get you out of limbo.

Blog Entries

You can replace the HPFS driver with HPFS386 driver from Advance Server to get better file system performance. Maybe something to look at once you are comfortable with OS/2.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; March 13th, 2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Update: Received various components from eBay, e.g. SCSI CD ROM and SCSI cables, and began installation today. Got the Quantum HD, Panasonic SuperDisk / LS-120 and the Toshiba 40x CD ROM installed and recognized by the DTC VL 3274 host adapter. Got to the point of being able to boot from a floppy disk, also driven by the DTC controller, but ran into problems trying to install OS/2 Warp, which halted installation claiming it could not detect a hard drive.

I went back to MS-DOS, booting from A: and ran FDISK and FORMAT and then SYS. When I rebooted I found the controller BIOS was complaining that no system had been installed. Well, duh, I thought: the DTC instructions say to set the system BIOS to "no hard drive installed". The controller reported the Quantum as C: and if I booted from a floppy, the floppy could see and communicate with drive C:, so what's the problem? I tried disabling the DTC BIOS but then there was no C: to communicate with. With the BIOS enabled booting from the floppy caused the system to hang as though there were a SCSI address conflict (which I had resolved earlier in the day.)

After two hours of experimentation I found that after you read the instructions a sufficient number of times and change every jumper (of which there are 14) and switch (of which there are 16) you finally stumble upon the cause: The system board is set to a "CPU frequency" of 33.3 MHz. The DTC has a switch for frequencies <= 33 MHz and > 33 MHz. I assumed 33.3 was > 33 so I set the switch accordingly. When I changed its position everything worked, but the system still wouldn't boot from C:. I went back and re-partitioned the disk, re-formatted and reinstalled the OS, and at that point I was able to boot from C:

Back to installing OS/2. This time the installation process halted with a message that the country information in A:\Country.sys was wrong and needed to be corrected. Wha? Country.sys exists (on "Diskette for CD-ROM) but I have no idea what the expected value is. And it's a binary file. So I'm stuck!

Any (pertinent) suggestions?

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

Pics:

DOS_Boot_C.jpg IBM_Boot_A.jpg
    Last edited by clh333; March 20th, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

Blog Entries

https://web.archive.org/web/19970723...ney/note9.html

If double checking the CMOS does not work, you may need a DTC specific set of drivers for OS/2. Failing on COUNTRY.SYS is a bit of an illusion; COUNTRY.SYS is the first file OS/2 attempts to read after switching to OS/2 supplied drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    https://web.archive.org/web/19970723...ney/note9.html

If double checking the CMOS does not work, you may need a DTC specific set of drivers for OS/2. Failing on COUNTRY.SYS is a bit of an illusion; COUNTRY.SYS is the first file OS/2 attempts to read after switching to OS/2 supplied drivers.
    Rats! I will double-check BIOS but I suspect the issue will be that there is no hard drive in the BIOS list. I have a disk of DTC-specific drivers, furnished by the manufacturer. I'm guessing they would have to be included in the CONFIG.SYS file or whatever it is OS/2 uses in its place.

The drivers furnished by DTC are for DOS and for Novell, neither of which may be appropriate for OS/2. I checked some of the on-line sources you cited; didn't find anything exactly (or nearly) appropriate. But I'll keep looking and let you know if I find something.

Thanks for your reply,

-CH-