Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM 486 general help with building

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLI View Post
    Go SCSI.

Ar one point I got an IBM PS/1 from a VCFED member. The MOBO IDE was fried. Same thing with my Argent Technologies 486 DX 33. Hence the suggestion.
    A multi i/o board with IDE interface with its own bios or xtide should get the system up and as well.
    It'll certainly be a lot cheaper the trying to get the system up and running with SCSI.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; March 13th, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    A multi i/o board with IDE interface with its own bios or xtide should get the system up and as well.
    It'll certainly be a lot cheaper the trying to go the system up and running with SCSI.
    I mean, I guess you could go SCSI if the onboard IDE is dead.....
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I mean, I guess you could go SCSI if the onboard IDE is dead.....
    True.
    Sounds like the on board fdd controller may have issues as well. If it were me I'd throw in a generic multi i/o board in it to see what happens.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

oh wow, might have to follow up with on getting one. maybe we can trade part for part.

So right now I am using another computer I have simple emachines T1115 and I am installing windows 3.1 on a seagate ST32122A 2.1gb. Once the install is complete i will try it on the PS/1. fingers crossed