Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gary Kaufman's IMSAI MPU-A Reproduction Board

Default Gary Kaufman's IMSAI MPU-A Reproduction Board

Some of you have probably heard mumblings online about how someone's doing an IMSAI MPU-A reproduction. Behold:

Gary Kaufman had a blank IMSAI MPU-A scanned and did a prototype run of boards. This is the same scanning technique that we've used on the OSI reproduction boards and my SSM IO-2 reproduction. I tweaked the Gerber files for him and added info regarding the design's status as a reproduction. Gary will be selling production-run blank boards soonish at around $30-40 per board depending on final costs. The boards will be run with hard gold edge plating (the prototype above is HASL, of course). I'll be building up a few parts kits for these boards.

Intel 8216 bus buffers replaced with their Soviet clone counterpart:

Running in my IMSAI:

You can see garbage from the Polymorphic VTI on the little monitor; it hasn't been initialized yet. I dropped in a ROM board with the Vector Graphic ROM monitor with VTI drivers:

It lives! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/tAepr

Blog Entries

Neat!!!
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    Neat!!!
    Board are in production, and I'll offer them up in a few weeks.

I also have Altair 8080 CPU boards being fabricated.

Several folks including Glitch have been a huge help in making this possible.

- Gary

There will be parts kits available for both, as well. Just got in an order of correct Thermalloy heat sinks!

Quote Originally Posted by gekaufman View Post
    Board are in production, and I'll offer them up in a few weeks.

I also have Altair 8080 CPU boards being fabricated.

Several folks including Glitch have been a huge help in making this possible.

- Gary
    Did you do a prototype run of the Altair CPU too? If so has Glitch and/or others tested a prototype of the Altair CPU?

When orders are taken I'll commit to three (3) each of the Imsai and Altair CPU boards and parts kits for all.

- Jeff
    ---
    KF7CRU @jhalbrecht @TheRetroWagon Looking for Cromemco 16FDC please contact me.
    http://www.theretrowagon.com/vcf-west-2017/

I did a prototype run of the Altair CPU as well. Here's a picture of a board built up by Martin Eberhard.

- Gary
    Altair CPU Prototype ME_c.jpg

Blog Entries

What are the prices for bare boards?
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

Just waiting to figure my final costs, but will be in the $30 - $40 each range for bare boards. About 1/2 the cost will be going to cover the purchase/borrowing of the bare boards, scanning and prototype production/shipping.

I should be ready to offer boards in about 2 weeks.

- Gary

The Altair CPU board has been corrected from "CPU BB" to "CPU BD" in the final production Gerbers

Super excited to have reproduction boards actually *available* to us hobbyists at a fair price. I believe Gary is running them full-spec with hard gold plating and all, so they should also be very *durable* reproductions. Drives me nuts to see more expensive boards with HASL or ENIG on an edge connector!

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    The Altair CPU board has been corrected from "CPU BB" to "CPU BD" in the final production Gerbers
    I thought that was on purpose because they are so close It is an excellent reproduction.