Image Map Image Map

Thread: So I hosed the user data partition on my phone

Default So I hosed the user data partition on my phone

...while attempting to mount it from Windows 98 (don't even ask why. ) I was able to read files off it initially but Win98 blue screened and apparently messed up the partition. The next time I rebooted the phone it re-wrote the partition table or something and everything was gone.

Note that this is an old Android 4.03(?) phone that still mounts like a USB Mass Storage device, not with the newer MTP.

I imagine most of the data is still there, but I can't figure out how to access it at a low-enough level from a PC to "see through" the format and try to recover. Has anyone done this before?

The phone isn't rooted IIRC. I could do it, but it's a bit of a pain in the butt on this model (Galaxy SII) and involves downloading Windows-only software from sketchy download sites. Yick. Naturally since it's an "old" phone (2012) 80% of the tools and utilities that support it fell off the internet long ago.

(Fortunately there wasn't anything important on there, but I wouldn't mind my photos from a ski trip a couple weeks ago back.)

Blog Entries

When I had this happen, on boot up Android recognised it as an unformatted partition and for some reason did a traditional "slow" format and everything was totally wiped. Ever since then I routinely back up all my phones. I hope you're lucky and that didn't happen.

But if it did, and if I were you, I'd set up a Windows virtual machine and go through the trouble of rooting the phone. It's worth it, and you don't have much to lose at this point.

Blog Entries

Boot Linux and use "dd" to recover the image, sector-by-sector.

But I didn't realize that this was a "vintage" cellphone.

Blog Entries

It is more than two weeks old..

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Boot Linux and use "dd" to recover the image, sector-by-sector.
    Good call, for some reason I didn't even think to try dd. I guess I assumed Android was doing some trickery and it wasn't a mounting as a "real" block device.

Anyway successfully imaged. I'm running foremost on it right now to scrape the files out. Anything else I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    But I didn't realize that this was a "vintage" cellphone.
    Obviously I meant to stick this post in off topic, but missed. :P THAT SAID... I have actually been ridiculed to my face for using such an "old" phone. Apparently I pulled this thing out of the Neolithic. People are mental.

Try finding some of the customized Android images or tools for it that were around when it was the current - they're gone off the internet already. Hundreds of xda-developers threads full of broken links and "Upgrade Your Hosting" images. This was the most popular Android phone by a light-year and a HUGE deal when it came out in 2012-2013, but these days it's easier to find software for an Imsai.

I sure hope there's never any "vintage smartphone" preservationist community in the near future 'cause they're not gonna have fun.

Blog Entries

Think of the repairs....

I've got an HTC Evo that is totally trashed, and I'm actually considering getting one to replace it. My newer phones have terrible cameras, in comparison.

ooops
    Last edited by facattack; March 15th, 2018 at 03:24 AM.
    GoFundMe Plz Share with your friends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    My newer phones have terrible cameras, in comparison.
    I plunked down the cash for a Pixel XL because it had an amazing camera, and haven't regretted it. It's nice to have a device that just simply works all the time without needing to root or hack it, and shooting photos and video is pretty amazing given random shooting conditions and hand movement (except for shooting 1080p60 video, that specific mode has bad resolution for some reason, but all of the others including 4k30 are great).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)