Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon MDD-210 floppy drive manual needed

Default Canon MDD-210 floppy drive manual needed

I have got this Canon floppy drive and there's plenty of dip switches but I have no idea what is their functions. I could find only one site offering the manual but only for a fee

MDD-210: 40 TRACK, DOUBLE SIDED, CAPACITY 500K, or 200K ON BBC MICRO.

STANDARD 34-PIN INTERFACE COMPATIBLE WITH: BBC MICRO, TRS-80, VIDEO GENEI, NASCOM
    NUMBER OF HEADS: 2
    TRACKS PER HEAD: 40
    K BYTES PER DISK: 250 (FM), 500 (MFM)
    BYTES PER TRACK: 3,125 (FM), 6,250 (MFM)
    6ms TRACK-TO-TRACK
    DIRECT DRIVE DC MOTOR

Sooo... this drive is not IBM PC compatible? Do I have now nothing but expensive paper weight??? I never learn...

Anyway, also when checking MDD-211 model manual, it looks like it can format 320kb but not 360kb or how it goes???

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/fjkra...MDD211_221.pdf
    Last edited by musicforlife; March 14th, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

Blog Entries

It should be able to produce 360 kB disks; the manual was prepared before IBM came out with PC-DOS 2.0 which increased capacity. Though pairing "IBM conformance" with 16 256-byte sectors is a recipe for confusion.

Set the drive select correctly (as the second drive*) and see if it works. If you have issues, it may be necessary to check other switches.

* Canon seems to count from 1 so I think the DS2 would need to be selected.

I can format and read 360kb disks but occasionally it says "can't read" but it goes away after opening and closing the hatch again. My unit was supposely new and never used before, and it looks like it.

The seller claimed that it's not IBM PC compatible.

Blog Entries

Unused and new doesn't mean that the lube is in good shape. You may want to clean the carriage rails--I've had that happen with NOS drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Unused and new doesn't mean that the lube is in good shape. You may want to clean the carriage rails--I've had that happen with NOS drives.
    The drive is quiet so I don't expect that it would require lubrication. There's some weird mechanical switch mechanism inside that everytime when it starts to access disk or stop action, there's a loud "click" sound (everytime the light comes up and goes away). Usually if I make a command after the stops, the re-access gives me "drive not ready" error but if I respond soon enough that it doesn't go off with a click, it works normally.

Whys is that and what is this mechanism? EDIT: Aah, it's the locking mechanism of the hatch! It locks the hatch that it can't be opened while it access the disk. I only wonder why it gets that "drive not ready" error all the time when getting the "first time access".
    Last edited by musicforlife; March 14th, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

Yay, I got the manual finally and only because someone was kind enough to send me one from their collection. Damn there's no clear indication of the jumpers but just too-difficult-to-read diagram of the jumper switches.

I can send the manual for anyone who would like to see it. It's quite technical and interesting. Is this the only floppy drive with solenoid-locking hatch?

mdd210_1.jpg

mdd210_2.jpg

mdd210_3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Not by a long shot--door-lock was available as an option on many 8" and 5.25" drives. When I get one like that, I just remove the locking mechanism--usually just a solenoid.

Here's the manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgumcmq5tz...on%29.pdf?dl=0

Could someone read it and confirm me whether there's something that would make this "non-ibm compatible" as the original seller claimed.

Also, when using this drive in IBM PC, I can't get the previous issues of "drive not ready" at all. It gets access all the time just fine and does everything correctly without hiccups. The previous computer was PentiumII/Win98 (using pure DOS). Also, what is this size? Half-size? It's taller than normal 5.25" but in IBM PC there's no space for any other drive so that's not half-size?

DSCN6523.jpg

Blog Entries

Two things-- you want to set the jumpers so that SW3-3 is on and SW3-4 is off to leave the head permanently loaded (PC doesn't use the head-load signal).

If you're going to use the drive on a 5170 or later, you'll want to take some tape (clear packing tape is fine) and insulate pin 34 on the edge connector. The Canon drive uses this for "drive ready", but the PC uses it for "Disk Changed", which is, I think the cause of your problem with Pentium system. Normal Shugart SA-400 drives don't have any connection to this pin at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Two things-- you want to set the jumpers so that SW3-3 is on and SW3-4 is off to leave the head permanently loaded (PC doesn't use the head-load signal).

If you're going to use the drive on a 5170 or later, you'll want to take some tape (clear packing tape is fine) and insulate pin 34 on the edge connector. The Canon drive uses this for "drive ready", but the PC uses it for "Disk Changed", which is, I think the cause of your problem with Pentium system. Normal Shugart SA-400 drives don't have any connection to this pin at all.
    Now when I made the SW3 changes, it tries accessing the disk everytime when I close the hatch. After closing the hatch, the led goes on for a short moment. Does it look for index hole or?

Also, I was a bit hasty. With IBM PC I can still get occasionally "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unusable" error when formatting a disk but as soon as I try again, it works fine.