Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Netserver 4d/66 LM

When you say dead, I'm assuming you mean, if you press power button nothing happens? no fans or anything? I think the right button is for cycling thru information on the LCD panel. My DEC HX6000 system, a contemporary, has a similar setup.

Does the power button connect to a PCB with the other buttons+LCD, then go thru a ribbon to the motherboard? The file I linked to indicates this, but then shows the pinout for the PSU connectors as below. There doesn't seem to be any PS_ON in that lot. Are there any other connectors for the PSU to the motherboard?

from the file I linked here is the pinout of the main PSU connectors for the motherboard:
    Code:
    KJ0840 - Main Power Connector
    Type:	Single Row Header Style, PC/AT standard Connector, 12 pin (Male)
    Pinout:	1	PWRGOOD
    	2	+5v
    	3	+12v
    	4	-12v
    	5	GND
    	6	GND     Pins 2, 10, 11, and 12 are rated for 5 amps each
    	7	GND
    	8	GND
    	9	-5v
    	10	+5v
    	11	+5v
    	12	+5v
    KJ0850 - Aux. Power Connector
    Type:	Single Row (Male); Used with 215W, 230W and 384W Power Supplies
    Pinout:	1	+5v
    	2	+5v
    	3	+5v
    	4	GND     Pins 1, 2,and 3 are rated for 5 amps each
    	5	GND
    	6	GND
    KJ0860 - Aux. Power Connector
    Type:  	Single Row Header (Male);  Used with 384W Deskside Power Supply only
    Pinout:	1	+5v
    	2	+5v
    	3	+5v	Pins 1, 2, and 3 are rated for 5 amps each
    	4	GND
    	5	GND
    	6	GND
    Edit:

Just looked at the images again, looks like there is another purple/black wire. Have you tried shorting these together? Im guessing the black is GND.
    Last edited by mR_Slug; March 29th, 2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Not to dig up a dead thread, but yes, these motherboards often have shorted tantalums that shut down the power supply. I've got a small stack of the 6-slot Intel Xpress boards to go through, all shut down a perfectly good supply, one had evidence of a previous tantalum cap explosion. There's...quite a few on the boards.

Bill, if you decide not to keep this one, be sure to let me know -- always looking for Intel Xpress parts

Quote Originally Posted by billdeg View Post
    This machine has been on my list for many years. It's full of post-vintage transition hardware. FDDI comms (100mb/sec) for a file server running with a Pentium CPU would have been top of the line in 1993 given ethernet was slower then. This machine could have served files for a nicely-sized staff of users. This machine is in nice shape too, not a lot of dust at all. Not sure how long/if it was in production but even a lightly-used Dallas timer chip will die. I just hope it comes back to life after I get the new chip installed. Not sure if it's a Novell system but that's my guess. Depends if it was upgraded to Windows NT at some point. Have not been into it yet, and I will have to hack the password.

I have a few of these EISA CPU Pentium 60 or 66's. It has been a goal to study how they work and to preserve a few.

No comment on the Netserver (other then they are purtty and if I wasn't up to my gullets in massive retro 80s/90s servers I would love one) but on Dallas chip I would double check the chip and make sure it is a DS1287. The usual part for EISA systems was a DS1497. Incidentally I have found the batteries on those to last forever. My Systempro's (from 1994ish era) RTC is still running extra holding on to both EISA NVRAM config as well as date and time.

Edit: Just realized how old the OP was. DOH!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

It's a DS1287 for sure, a DS12887 or GW-12887-1 will work in its place -- that's what I run.