Image Map Image Map

Thread: Upgrading Olivetti P100-s m4

Default Upgrading Olivetti P100-s m4

i want to upgrade, if possible, the cpu of this olivetti. just upgraded ram from 16mb to 64mb. it mounts, i thinkfrom a sticker on it, a BA2270 (PCS5130?) motherboard, but i can't find any information about cpu support. if it can help, on the board are also presenti these chipsets:

INTEL PCISET SB82371FB
    INTEL PCISET SB82437FX66
    TRIDENT TGUI9680-1
    SMC FDC37C932

i've found some information about jumpers settings:

J26 on 2-3 and J27 on 2-3 = clock 50Mhz
    J26 on 2-3 and J27 on 1-2 = clock 60Mhz
    J26 on 1-2 and J27 on 2-3 = clock 66Mhz

J38 ON and J37 ON = clock x 2,5
    J38 OFF and J37 ON = clock x 3
    J38 ON and J37 OFF = clock x 2
    J38 OFF and J37 OFF = clock x 1,5

now there is a pentium 100mhz on. can i upgrade to 200mhz? do you have any information about this motherboard?

upgraded to a P133 with jumper settings, everything is ok. so i think i can upgrade to 200max. is possible to overclock this kind of cpu?

You've got the 430FX Triton I chip set. 133MHz is typically the max. Sometimes there are jumper setting for up to 166MHz. I don't recall of any that will do 200MHz, though it is possible in theory. You can't run MMX CPUs without a voltage converter IIRC. You might get 150MHz out of the 133MHz.

There were overdrive CPU's where you set the board for 133MHz and the CPU operates at a higher frequency regardless. That's probably your best bet.

Edit: Just re read your first post, 66MHz x 3.0 is indeed 200MHz, so 200MHz non-MMX. Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by mR_Slug; April 12th, 2018 at 06:39 PM.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

thanks! so i can run 200mhz pentium non-mx, socket 5... does it exist?

Here is a list of CPUs:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o....35_%C2%B5m%29

The P54CS 200MHz for the socket 7 will likely work. I can't guarantee it will work though. I have a socket 5 system that has a 166MHz CPU in it. Another identical system that will only go to 133MHz, perhaps it's a BIOS revision issue. These systems however use the older NX chipset. I'd certainly give it a go.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

the socket is 5 not 7...

Blog Entries

Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Socket 5 and socket 7 are pin compatible, but socket 7 has an additional pin.

this Intel page in the wikipedia article Caluser2000 linked to explains the differences.

Socket 7 is a 321-pin ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) processor socket and is a superset of the previous 320-pin Socket 5. Socket 7 provides the option and capability to support both unified-plane processors and split-plane, dual voltage processors. Socket 7 requires that the CLK and PICCLK signals be driven at 3.3 volts.

All Intel® Pentium® processors that are compatible with Socket 5 are compatible with Socket 7, but Intel Pentium Processors with MMX™ technology are designed for Socket 7 and are not compatible with Socket 5.

The presence of a particular socket on a motherboard does not necessarily indicate that motherboard will support all speeds of a particular processor. Contact the system or motherboard manufacturer for information on which processor speeds are supported.
    The wikipedia article is a bit misleading, here is some info from Intel. The SL24R 166 MHz part is listed as socket 5/7. The 200MHz came out later than the 166MHz. I've never seen a 200MHz on a socket 5, but the multiplier ratio should allow for it.

In my experience the 166MHz (non-MMX) is much more common than the 200MHz (non-MMX).

I just found a 430FX motherboard and it booted a 166 Pentium, unfortunately it was stuck at 133 because that board only supports the 2.0 multiplier. Hope this helps.