Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IBM 5363 - IBM System/36

Blog Entries

But then I would have to find a place to mount the switch.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Uh-Oh.

So I have been working within the 24 hour timeframe since the last system IPL (august 20, 1995) to prevent the system going off and doing something weird but yesterday while figuring out how to get the tape system to perform a backup (it seems the integrated backup tools do not support third party twinax devices) the system threw what it calls a "Bomb Flag". That I can tell so far this is not something native to SSP but with this flag active the machine has locked me out of a large number of applications, even when running under administrator or power cycling and running the IPL again an including the previously run backup routine.
    Does a Bomb Flag sound familiar to anyone?
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Was able to unset the Bomb Flag.
    The wording is pretty scary but really it's just a marker for the machine that prevents data from being changed while a backup cycle runs. Because the last time I tried failed and I never terminated the job the flag remained set. After some poking around I found another way to reach the backup control menu and run the procedure again, except this time I cancelled it properly and it unset the flag.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CGS_8023.jpg

I also found mention of the tape drive for once. It was part of the procedure to backup the libraries. I wonder if there is an additional menu somewhere that tells me what channel and ID it's looking for....

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/CGS_8021.jpg
    Last edited by NeXT; June 4th, 2018 at 05:38 AM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Progress (such as this) is always nice
    Torfinn

Blog Entries

So, what are you going to do with the thing? Do you have an application in mind?

Blog Entries

I dunno. Running an annual budget? Running a component inventory? Being a midrange there is an extremely small number of practical tasks the machine can do other than tick off adding a reasonably and well configured minicomputer from IBM. I do have (two in fact) a much later 720 series AS/400 but neither work or can IPL in their current states.
    This does however now justify all the twinax hardware I've amassed over the last eight years or so. Now for example that I have a walljack in my bedroom and the PCMCIA emulation card I can roll over in bed and login on a sunday morning if I so wished.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

What's the default programming language for applications on that platform? RPG?

A friend of mine used to run his car dealership with an Advanced/36 (and likely a real System/36 before that) and twinax all over the place. No actual terminals towards the end, he had ISA 5250 emulator cards in PCs for connectivity. When he sold out the dealership to a big dealer group in 2000 to retire, they brought in even more ancient mainframe stuff and the assorted green screen terminals (likely OS/390 and 3270 terminals). It made zero sense, but he was the one laughing to the bank at that point.

Blog Entries

All work is now on immediate hold. Something's come up.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

*sigh*

Okay folks, we have learned a very important lesson today. Some people did so unexpectedly. That was me.
    This machine and everything I had received with this machine was never cleared for release from its previous worksite. I've received an email form a bewildered employee asking how the hell this left the building. That conversation for various reasons I will not disclose. The fact that it took months before anyone raised a flag is annoying to say the least.

Folks, of you are going to cast off a computer for an employee, especially something large like an IBM midrange, MAKE SURE YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO DO SO.
    After all the work put into this so far it must now be returned to its original owner for sanitization and disposal. A moderator has been messaged to remove anything after this post and lock the thread.
    Last edited by NeXT; June 7th, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
    = Excellent space heater