Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5363 - IBM System/36

Very nice unit! Never seen a system 36 unit. Ironically I am working on an Os/400 system at my new job. that thing is sweet.

Blog Entries

We're in.

I spent this morning setting up a peculiar arrangement where I was running a skype call where a camera was pointed at the terminal and I sat at my desk with the keyboard reading back what I saw on the video feed while videoconferencing to someone else out east. It was not at all pretty but it worked. Thank you for the help Mark.

In the two hour session we deobfuscated the instructions and figured out how the javascript file worked. It is confirmed working on Internet Explorer 8 under Windows XP/Vista with all data entry being done with caps lock ON and no spaces. We managed to pull up a half dozen accounts and now I am tasked with repeating the procedure for the rest of the accounts and finding out which ones have administrative access.

I am going to work on a video this afternoon to explain the procedure for the slightly less technically inclined. Stay Tuned.
    Last edited by NeXT; May 12th, 2018 at 12:17 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

The complete procedure with photos is now live on the VCfed blog page.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/entry.php...-IBM-System-36
    = Excellent space heater

Glad you got in and have access. Mark is a nice guy and really knows these machines.

Blog Entries

This is going to sound a bit strange, but what exactly is the procedure to gracefully bring the machine down?
    I was told it was a mix of STOP SYSTEM and POWER OFF, both of which are valid commands but I never get confirmation from either that they have actually done anything.
    = Excellent space heater

6. Default

According to page 63 of the manual (http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/p...5363_Sep87.pdf). You just check that there are no running jobs, no pending messages, and no logged on users. Then you run the "STOP SYSTEM" command and when done, you flip the power switch.

Blog Entries

Nice progress! Someone should rewrite that Javascript converter into, say Python?
    Torfinn

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    The replacement key someone made up on a hunch failed to even fit in the keylock. I had no choice but to move to Plan B: drill out the lock core...
    I'm just wondering if you consulted a locksmith? My local locksmith was able to make a key for me in a very similar situation and the key only cost me $14.

Blog Entries

I emailed the local locksmith as they close as I get off work and are not open weekends and never got a response back. Either way it would of been rather expensive for them to make a new key from a picked lock. Removing the core at least lets you replace it.

Also the javascript worked fine. It seemed to be more my initial input attempts were not formatted correctly and it would choke.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I'm not clear on why you resorted to drilling the lock? Since you could get to the back of the lock terminals, could you have just peeled the insulation and wired across your own switch until you get a proper key?