Image Map Image Map

Thread: Left handed Mac Portable?

Blog Entries

Default Left handed Mac Portable?

Listing says it was offered this way... did Apple really offer left handed Portables? Or has someone just reconfigured this one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253532647545

The main keyboard and numeric keypad positions could be swapped by the user.

There might be better details on how you swap them that this page, just one of the first ones I found:
    deskthority.net/photos-f62/macintosh-portable-keyboards-keypad-t16148.html

Blog Entries

Yes the keyboard and mouse/keypad can be arranged on either side of the machine. All three assemblies have an identical electrical interface and there are two sockets positioned under the bezel so everything lines up when you want to rearrange it.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Moving the numeric keypad seems very odd. But hey it's user configurable. Nice job Apple!

When entering a lot of numeric data on a standard keyboard with the keypad on the right, do left handed people normally use their right hand or switch to their left hand?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    When entering a lot of numeric data on a standard keyboard with the keypad on the right, do left handed people normally use their right hand or switch to their left hand?
    I know at least one that uses her right hand.

I've never noticed a cashier using a left hand on a numeric keypad. Some percentage of them must be left handed (besides the one I know).

Right handed pianists don't switch to their right hand for bass lines.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    I'm left handed and I use my right hand on the numeric keypad. I'm doing taxes right now, so that's a lot of numeric data entry.

Edited to add: I use my left hand for the mouse, so I do like that left handed trackball.

I'm another left-hander that uses their right-hand for the numeric keypad. As it's always been on my right side, I've found it natural to use my right hand as it's closer. I saw a left-handed keyboard for sale once in my youth, but didn't see the benefit of it. (Scissors are a different matter.)

Similarly I use an external mouse with my right hand. That worked well for shoot-em-ups: broad arm movements and finger twitches with my right side, and fingers jumping around WSAD and nearby keys with my nimble left hand.

In the case of a laptop touchpad (or ideally trackpoint) as it's in the middle, there's no "bias" to the right hand, so I use my left. That works very well except for the rare occasion I want to play a shoot-em-up, when I can't operate the trackpoint and WSAD keys wit the same hand, so all my muscle memory and co-ordination goes down the pan. :/

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I know at least one that uses her right hand.

I've never noticed a cashier using a left hand on a numeric keypad. Some percentage of them must be left handed (besides the one I know).

Right handed pianists don't switch to their right hand for bass lines.
    believe it or not, there are some companies that build pianos where the keyboard is reversed, that way the lower notes are farther to the right. This goes against everything I have ever lived for and they should all be burned to fuel the normal piano factories!