Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting Mod II 12 16 6000 software eBay sale

26-4605 Accounts Payable and 26-6412 Profile 16 are now both in the archive.

26-4605 is the 5 disk Model II set. I have the manual and will need to scan it sometime.

26-6412 is version 1.0.0 of Profile 16. We had 1.1.0 already but it's nice to get all the different versions.

The Tandy disks are always a real pain to image. They are constantly sluffing off media onto the drive head. Some of the disks I had to read and clean the head many times and some of the others are proving to be just unreadable. The Snapp-Ware disks were fine. These were apparently all stored together and the disks look to be well treated. Tandy just cheaped out on the disks I suspect.

Lesson to everyone. If you have unimaged and unarchived 8" Tandy software, it is imperative that you do so soon. The disks are degrading by the day.

https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...dge%20Software

This disk is a little bit of a puzzle. It consists of two z80 programs in a tar archive.

The "gregutil" program looks to be a modified diskutil from XENIX 1.x. When run, it only offers floppy and hard drive support.

The z80ctl looks to be a modified XENIX 3.1.x z80ctl. A quick examination reveals there are messages added to the program such as "TAPE ERROR" and "DRIVE IS REWINDING", etc. But, I don't see how these features would be available without at least a small kernel patch.

The documentation for this software would be helpful if it can be found.

I suspect this may not be the real complete Snapp-Ware cartridge package, or maybe only the included z80ctl was with additional software, like a kernel patch and diskutil patches that are not here.

Why would Bob Snapp release a program named "gregutil"? Some things just don't make sense here.

I may add these to the TRS-XENIX Project for further reverse engineering if we can determine it is worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...dge%20Software

This disk is a little bit of a puzzle. It consists of two z80 programs in a tar archive.

The "gregutil" program looks to be a modified diskutil from XENIX 1.x. When run, it only offers floppy and hard drive support.

The z80ctl looks to be a modified XENIX 3.1.x z80ctl. A quick examination reveals there are messages added to the program such as "TAPE ERROR" and "DRIVE IS REWINDING", etc. But, I don't see how these features would be available without at least a small kernel patch.

The documentation for this software would be helpful if it can be found.

I suspect this may not be the real complete Snapp-Ware cartridge package, or maybe only the included z80ctl was with additional software, like a kernel patch and diskutil patches that are not here.

Why would Bob Snapp release a program named "gregutil"? Some things just don't make sense here.

I may add these to the TRS-XENIX Project for further reverse engineering if we can determine it is worth the effort.
    This might be part of the driver software for the Radio Ranch X-Drive.

It was a 60 meg cartridge (floppy) tape drive. It plugged into the floppy expansion port and used it's own boot floppy to back up hard drives to DC-600 cartridges.

I'll see if I have a copy of the full install here so you can compare.