Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mod II 12 16 6000 software eBay sale

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Yes, we'll work to get these in the archive for posterity. I too am quite curious about the Snappware disks.
    I wonder if the cartridge software disk is the z80util and diskutil Bob patched so that you could use SCSI drives via the Bernoulli card? Per usenet Bob sold that for $1600 a pop and it would only work with Xenix 3.1.x.

Everything seems to line up on the label except the "gregutil" unless gregutil = diskutil.

I cant wait to see what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    I wonder if the cartridge software disk is the z80util and diskutil Bob patched so that you could use SCSI drives via the Bernoulli card? Per usenet Bob sold that for $1600 a pop and it would only work with Xenix 3.1.x.
    Oh, man, I recall reading about those patches. Can you imagine if we could run SCSI drives in XENIX??

Oh, man, I recall reading about those patches. Can you imagine if we could run SCSI drives in XENIX??
    If the cartridge software disk is Bob's Bernoulli SCSI patches then the memswap disk could very well be his drivers that allowed you to swap to RAM instead of disk. I've read posts where on a non-MMU'd 6K you could have 1MB RAM and up to 7MB swap with that driver.

Man, I'd have loved to have gotten my hands on the 6K these disks belonged to!

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    If the cartridge software disk is Bob's Bernoulli SCSI patches then the memswap disk could very well be his drivers that allowed you to swap to RAM instead of disk. I've read posts where on a non-MMU'd 6K you could have 1MB RAM and up to 7MB swap with that driver.

Man, I'd have loved to have gotten my hands on the 6K these disks belonged to!
    I have a couple of 6000's with 2 meg memory cards. They use 256k SIPPS soldered in place. I also have external hard drives with the associated Xenix install on them, but they were not kept together (weren't when I picked them up) so I don't know where the kernal is.

Snapp's SCSI patches still required Xenix to be installed on an MFM drive. It allowed for SCSI secondaries. I remember several long conversations about them, but we never needed more than the 280 MB that was supported using MFM. As it was, we were experiencing very slow response with 6 users and 1 meg of memory. That was running mail merge documents integrating filePro and Scripsit 16.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    I have a couple of 6000's with 2 meg memory cards. They use 256k SIPPS soldered in place. I also have external hard drives with the associated Xenix install on them, but they were not kept together (weren't when I picked them up) so I don't know where the kernal is.

Snapp's SCSI patches still required Xenix to be installed on an MFM drive. It allowed for SCSI secondaries. I remember several long conversations about them, but we never needed more than the 280 MB that was supported using MFM. As it was, we were experiencing very slow response with 6 users and 1 meg of memory. That was running mail merge documents integrating filePro and Scripsit 16.
    Very cool. You’ve got to have an 8Mhz MMU somewhere in the dungeon!

Thanks to MikeModified these disks are now in the workshop getting ready for imaging and archiving.
    B4196881-DD4B-4B01-A69D-830D0A576743.jpg

As suspected, we now have a copy of Bob Snapp's MEMSWAP.

https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...p-Ware/MEMSWAP

The power.supply document is an interesting read. Bob certainly writes in a humorous personal style.

As suspected, we now have a copy of Bob Snapp's MEMSWAP.

https://github.com/pski/model2archiv...p-Ware/MEMSWAP

The power.supply document is an interesting read. Bob certainly writes in a humorous personal style.
    Bob was a real character. Used to love talking to him.

I have a couple of Snapp disks. I have (somewhere) all of the terminal entries he and D. Lee Penn created for the WY-50 terminals.
    I had an mfm cartridge drive he modified to work with the Tandy Xenix too.
    Last edited by kb2syd; April 19th, 2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

The disk marked "Xenix 3.1 Correction to 3.1.1" is the official Tandy 700-3035 XENIX Upgrade for 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 which we were missing.

Amazing these were found after all this time. I loved reading power.supply and switches.doc!

Big thanks to Mike and Pete for rescuing them. Hopefully somebody uncovers an MUSIE archive some day.