Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby AT/Full AT CAD Drawings/Specifications Needed

Default Baby AT/Full AT CAD Drawings/Specifications Needed

All,

I'm working on a custom baby AT case, and all the reverse engineering of sizes, tolerances, etc. is very time-consuming.

Does anyone have (preferably) a CAD drawing of a PC clone chassis, or even the original specifications for such a chassis? I need the slot size/spacing, hole size/position, and all of the other variables that were common across the industry.

Thanks!
    - Alex

I'll take photos of my AT case ***spoiler alert*** it's seen better days, but it still looks good.

I'll also measure the case as well (length, width, height), including spacing for add-on cards, hole size and quantity of screws needed, etc. Can't wait to see what the project looks like.

That would be a great help! As soon as I make more progress, I'll post photos and links.

So far, I have modeled the MB support plate, and am working on the ISA slot cage. I'm using a tiny 386SX/33 6-slot board as my model. I plan to make a case as small as possible, and use a PicoPSU, since I have several.

- Alex

Blog Entries

Toletances aren't that stringent. Are you farming this out or doing it yourself? Minimum "machinery" would be a bending break. I'm not staring at a case, but there are complications a break won't alleviate. The biggest problem with bending metal is maintaining dimensions though, as metal will stretch in ways that aren't readily accounted for. Ask people who work with metal, they'll tell you what to expect.

Stuff like this has crossed my mind lately, not so much for vintage stuff though. Needless to say it's most often easier to buy something.

Right now, I'm prototyping in PLA on a 3D printer. The final article will likely me made on my 1M^2 CNC router, and probably from wood, with a metal baseplate.

But, we shall see.

- Alex

That's an excellent start. I really wish that I had had that when I began this project.

This page:
    ATX1.jpg
    and this page:
    ATX2.jpg
    of the ATX spec:http://108.59.254.117/~mR_Slug/devic...rsion-2.01.pdf

should give enough info to work out the slot spacing, and offset. It's a bit of a round about way of doing it though. I can't find anything for the AT, looked thru the IBM AT tech ref.

Blog Entries

If you're going to all the trouble of making your own case, you'd do well to be observant of modern case methodologies. You could wind up being a manufacturer. I imagine most of us have seen ATX and related form factor-ed cases, but if not you should buy one. Is ATX backward compatible with AT? Anyway newegg always has sales. I've bought them for as little as 12$ after a rebate, got another one coming next week. The Rosewill Gungnir X is seemingly a true blue E-ATX case, meaning it'll take a full sized SSI EEB 12" x 13" mobo ... and 2 5 1/4" drives. I'm good to go. I could have gotten it for 10$ cheaper a month ago. Current sale ends in 10 hours.

With old style desktop cases really everything is the bezel. I guess that's the case with any case though LOL LOL. But especially with old vanilla clone cases, the bezel is what sets it apart. I like the one Radio Electronics featured just prior to the series on buliding the PT-68k. It may actually be a commercial case available somewhere in europe. I can't seem to find the issue (9/87 I think) on archive.org. AND if anyone has any info on the European version of that project, I'd like to hear from them. Anyway, there wasn't tons of style put into early pc cases. You didn't get anything really wild until the Mindset went totally off the reservation. The Leading Edge model M was a bit classy with it's silvery but plain bezel. They got real boring with the model D but that falls into the category of loveable little midget.
    Last edited by 2icebitn; April 6th, 2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    Is ATX backward compatible with AT?
    Not really. The AT board shares some mounting hole locations, as you can see in the first image I posted. They're listed in the table. It's much clearer in the PDF. However I think this mounting arrangement gives you only 7 slots. There were a few cases that could do ATX or AT with 8 slots.