Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trs 80 model 4 dead

1. Default Trs 80 model 4 dead

Hello all.

I recently purchased a model 4. When I turn it on the screen shows the raster and the drives spin (no red light) for a few seconds. I opened it up and checked the power supply voltages. I am getting 4.9V on the 5V rails and 11.4V on the 12V rail. I also get the -11.9V. As far as I can tell there is no activity on the board. I am getting 4.9V on the chip VCC pins. I am not getting any activity on the clock pin #6 on the z80. I have traced all the way back to the crystal and if I am doing it right (definitely a noob) I still am not getting anything on the oscilloscope. I am just getting the 4.9V.

Are the crystals a known problem with these boards. I could easily be missing something and it might not be the crystal at all.

Also I did check the voltages at J4 on the mother board and they appear to be correct (from left to right 4.9,gnd,11.4,-11.4)

Any ideas?
    Sean

By a strange coincidence, I have a model 4 (non-gate array) that exhibits the same (at least outwardly) symptoms as of a couple days ago. I don't want to say much more and co-opt your thread, but I will be watching this with interest. May or may not be the same thing going on with mine.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a schematic for a non-gate array model 4? Schematics for the gate array version are all over the place, but I haven't found any for the non-gate array version, and it looks like even the power supply boards have a significantly different layout.

The crystals in the Model 4 have nothing special about them. You should get a wave form on the crystal using an oscope. They can go bad, so try replacing it.

Since you are an admitted noob maybe post some pictures or a video of how you are testing it and we can make sure it's correct.

I'd also look at the Z80 as I've had a few of these go bad on me.

My experience is the oscillators on the non gate array aren't easy to find and you would have to make one using a crystal.

I have seen CRTC failures more frequently than the crystal.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    The crystals in the Model 4 have nothing special about them. You should get a wave form on the crystal using an oscope. They can go bad, so try replacing it.

Since you are an admitted noob maybe post some pictures or a video of how you are testing it and we can make sure it's correct.

Ok. Here is the back of the board. It looks like there are 4 pins that the crystal is soldered to the board with. Only two of them are connected on the back of the board. Here are the pictures of the pin/voltage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post

And here is the second pin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

Looking at this more closely I see that my motherboard is a 8709296 REV C board. It only has one crystal. The only scematics I can find are of REV A which has two crystals. Anyone know where to get a proper schematic of my board?

Doesnt look like its outputting anything. Is that the 20.375? Ground should be on the case on the other side of the board.

Sean,
    Just as a quick check of your O'Scope, hang your X10 Probe on the calibrate signal of the O'Scope and make sure you are
    getting a trace. You might have to adjust the trigger point to get a reliable sweep.

Larry

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ldkraemer View Post
    Sean,
    Just as a quick check of your O'Scope, hang your X10 Probe on the calibrate signal of the O'Scope and make sure you are
    getting a trace. You might have to adjust the trigger point to get a reliable sweep.

Larry
    The trigger point is set correctly.