Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Sorcerer Software to a File

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    Now that would be nice. I've wanted to run CP/M on my sorcerer but expansion interfaces are rare and expensive. Of course I'd just settle for reliable tape loading.

I wonder if you could use the disk drives from the expansion to load assembly games or if they're only usable under CP/M?
    Yes. It is very easy to load and save chunks of memory from/to an IDE device (disk drive, flash card or DOM) in machine code via uIDE.

However... your IDE device needs to be partitioned and formatted if you expect to use it for CP/M as well. The main problem here is the provisioning of some sort of file system for the machine code games you want on the drive (if you want to load from the monitor) and of course, the monitor itself needs to be changed to load them from IDE, and you need some CP/M boot code too.. The way I'd do it would be to setup the CP/M file system at the start of the disk, and get it to ignore ("reserve", in effect) some space at the end of the disk for the games you want to load from the monitor. You do this by configuring the CP/M DPB.

When I say "start" and "end" I am referring to the first sector on track 0 and the last sector on the last track respectively. (As the CP/M drivers use LBA, I'm used to seeing the IDE device as a contiguous array of sectors rather than addressing via head, track, sector semantics.)

One more approach occurred to me - you could load the games as images from CP/M if you wanted to, providing you knew the load address and start point. Benefit here is you can copy them to the IDE device from a PC using cpmtools (especially if you adopt the format used in my driver). But you'd have to create the image files yourself from the tape files.

One more caveat. The current driver is for CP/M 2.2. Is there a 2.2 CP/M for the Sorcerer? Mine is CP/M 1.1 (according to the disk label).

Any chance you can also look at that military encounter file and see if you can get that one working?
    I've tried and failed. It seems to be a "real" Sorcerer-generated 1200 baud version, but the WAV does not look good. Is this the only version you have?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post

One more caveat. The current driver is for CP/M 2.2. Is there a 2.2 CP/M for the Sorcerer? Mine is CP/M 1.1 (according to the disk label).
    Mine is 2.2 but it needs 54K of memory.

I might be willing to pay that much, but how heavy are they? If shipping to the US is going to be another 200 euros then Iím out.

Dumb question: with disk drives attached to the Sorcerer, can you load assembly programs from disk, or are the disk drives for CP/M only?
    I just checked, assuming they are between 10 and 20 kilos the shipping would be Ä110 to the US (or anywhere else outside Europe).

I have a few games on disk, but I have not yet looked into transferring programs from tape to disk. There may be a memory space issue for some programs because of the CP/M overhead...

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    I've tried and failed. It seems to be a "real" Sorcerer-generated 1200 baud version, but the WAV does not look good. Is this the only version you have?
    Yes unfortunately. I don't even remember where I got it from. Someone in Europe who had a bunch of programs on his page that I hadn't seen before. I never could find it again.

Mine is 2.2 but it needs 54K of memory.
    Is it possible to go above 48K on a Sorcerer? Maybe with S-100 cards?

I have a few games on disk, but I have not yet looked into transferring programs from tape to disk. There may be a memory space issue for some programs because of the CP/M overhead...
    If the disk unit can only do CP/M related programs then it's less useful to me. Still neat, but not as useful.

So the monitor/disk drive unit doesn't have any expansion slots in it right? Also I assume it would have a Euro style power plug, do I just need a simple adapter to make it work in the US?
    Last edited by tempest; April 26th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.

Is it possible to go above 48K on a Sorcerer? Maybe with S-100 cards?
    Several options, for what I've read. My Sorcerer has a RAM pack that gives 8K in the ROM pac address range.

BTW: I also found a disk with CP/M 2.2 working on 48K.

If the disk unit can only do CP/M related programs then it's less useful to me. Still neat, but not as useful.

So the monitor/disk drive unit doesn't have any expansion slots in it right? Also I assume it would have a Euro style power plug, do I just need a simple adapter to make it work in the US?
    CP/M is a file system, should be able to handle all kinds of files. I'll have to dive in deeper to see if I can transfer from tape to disk, but I did find some games that seem to originate from tape (i.e. CHOMP).

About the plug, that should not be a problem, but I don't know about the 250-110V conversion...

Let me know what you find out. Being able to load tape games from disk would be very useful, while cp/m would be fun to play with. I was able to store tape games on disk on my SV-328 when I got my disk drive for it, but it had a disk basic. Does a disk version of Sorcerer Basic exist? Of course the best games run out of the monitor on assembly.

Let me know what you find out. Being able to load tape games from disk would be very useful, while cp/m would be fun to play with. I was able to store tape games on disk on my SV-328 when I got my disk drive for it, but it had a disk basic. Does a disk version of Sorcerer Basic exist? Of course the best games run out of the monitor on assembly.
    clausb posted a lot of info about his machine in this thread

He has modded the machine for an internal 56K RAM grand total. Having the ROM area as RAM, one can load Sorcerer BASIC into this area and execute it without problems. Next comes patching the loading routines to whatever new scheme.

Intesting. Of course I’d need that extra ram, but if I can make a RAM Pac then that wouldn’t be an issue.

Do programs have to be modified to run from disk or do they not care where they’re loaded from? How do you access the disk drive from the monitor anyway?

The programs doesn't need to be modified (although they use tape routines and you want to convert them); but the monitor, as JonB pointed out, needs to be heavily modified to make use of the new IDE routines. If Sorcerer BASIC is omitted and given the monitor's simplicity, maybe adding a "directory listing" and "load from disk" new routines would be enough to deal with IDE devices...

@JonB: How can I buy one of your uIDE-8 boards? (I suppose that the 8 bits version is the right choice?. Btw, I need to check it; but I believe that the Sorcerer has all the needed signals in the expansion port