Image Map Image Map
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 174

Thread: Show us your Tandy Computers!

  1. #141
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    I guess I'll go ahead and drop a link to my latest video in here. Technically it features a Tandy 1000 HX, but those of a delicate constitution when it comes to keeping things original may want to avert their eyes.



    It was a really fun build; tedious in some places, but cobbling together a primitive wood case and re-encoding a surplus keyboard let me pretend I was participating in real Old Tyme Home Computing, Circa 1976.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  2. #142

    Default

    This forum seriously needs a like button!

    Great work with the franken-tandy too. I'm waiting to build a TL/2 based franken Tandy from bits I found cheap on eBay - it'll help me finish testing my internal floppy adapters to enhance their compatibility.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    This forum seriously needs a like button!
    Thanks! Like I said, it was really fun to make something like this, even if soldering that massive ratsnest on the back of the keyboard and diddling with the ribbon cable connectors gave me a few brief bouts of low-grade madness.

    Great work with the franken-tandy too. I'm waiting to build a TL/2 based franken Tandy from bits I found cheap on eBay - it'll help me finish testing my internal floppy adapters to enhance their compatibility.
    At least a TL/2 being able to use generic XT keyboards will save you that one little bit of fun. Or deprive you of it, depending on just how sick you are.

    I'm curious what the deal is with any sort of incompatibility it is you're seeing. Did Radio Shack change the pinouts at some point? It seemed to match up correctly to the service manual on my HX. (I do vaguely wonder if they weren't super careful at the factory and may have installed that weird Y-floppy cable backwards in some machines, with the colored pin 1 wire on the wrong side.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    505

    Default

    I happen to have a spare HX motherboard. Just for shits and giggles, I ought to build myself one
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

    Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    An idea I had but discarded (for now) was trying to make an Osborne/Kaypro style portable out of it. I left enough leash on the keyboard ribbons specifically in case I try revisiting that.

    (I've been casually trying to determine if it's possible for any of those cheap multi-standard LCD panel driver boards you can get so cheaply from China to accept 15.7khz on their RGB ports. Since they do accept NTSC it seems at least it should be technically possible...)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  6. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Thanks! Like I said, it was really fun to make something like this, even if soldering that massive ratsnest on the back of the keyboard and diddling with the ribbon cable connectors gave me a few brief bouts of low-grade madness.
    I bet!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    At least a TL/2 being able to use generic XT keyboards will save you that one little bit of fun. Or deprive you of it, depending on just how sick you are.

    I'm curious what the deal is with any sort of incompatibility it is you're seeing. Did Radio Shack change the pinouts at some point? It seemed to match up correctly to the service manual on my HX. (I do vaguely wonder if they weren't super careful at the factory and may have installed that weird Y-floppy cable backwards in some machines, with the colored pin 1 wire on the wrong side.)
    I'll use my XT keyboard - I dont feel like being a masochist on this one.

    RatShack changed the FDD pins very slightly between the HX and newer units, eg on the HX pin 3 is 5v but this is NC on the TL, plus on the TL pins 29-33 had the 12v removed. That's about it really - I also wanted to test some other stuff with my TL/2 board.

    I've definately had a handful of HX customers with the Y cable installed backward in HX's, bizarrely they still work but to use my adapters I have them snip off the key on the FDD center connector and install them backwards and they still work, NFI what's going on because I dont have a HX to play with.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    An idea I had but discarded (for now) was trying to make an Osborne/Kaypro style portable out of it. I left enough leash on the keyboard ribbons specifically in case I try revisiting that.

    (I've been casually trying to determine if it's possible for any of those cheap multi-standard LCD panel driver boards you can get so cheaply from China to accept 15.7khz on their RGB ports. Since they do accept NTSC it seems at least it should be technically possible...)
    Let us know if you find any that accept 15.7KHz on VGA, because from there, it's a simple circuit to convert the RGBi output into clear and readable 80-column 16-colour Tandy goodness!

    The RCA jack works reasonably enough in 40-colum mode on a CRT, if you didn't have money for a monitor back in the day, but it looks like **** on an LCD.
    Last edited by blackepyon; November 19th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

    Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

  8. #148
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Let us know if you find any that accept 15.7KHz on VGA, because from there, it's a simple circuit to convert the RGBi output into clear and readable 80-column 16-colour Tandy goodness!
    Yeah, last time I went to the local electronics shop I bought the parts to slap together the circuit (the version that includes the brown fix). I figure I can test it on the 1084 in Analog mode and then, well, see what I can see.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  9. #149
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Outer Mongolia
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    I've definately had a handful of HX customers with the Y cable installed backward in HX's, bizarrely they still work but to use my adapters I have them snip off the key on the FDD center connector and install them backwards and they still work, NFI what's going on because I dont have a HX to play with.
    That's odd that they couldn't just flip the cable end-for-end; was the hooded connector on the motherboard installed backwards (on my board at least it does have a key in the correct orientation), or did they just jam the cable in the wrong way at the factory, key be damned? Weird.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

  10. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    That's odd that they couldn't just flip the cable end-for-end; was the hooded connector on the motherboard installed backwards (on my board at least it does have a key in the correct orientation), or did they just jam the cable in the wrong way at the factory, key be damned? Weird.
    The connector shroud is keyed so you shouldn't be able to install the Y cable in the wrong way - it's the key from the center connector that I've had ppl snip off to allow them to turn the cable around. The cable itself isn't actually weird (just clever) - I built a replica from customer photos and it works perfectly in my Amiga's.

    The pinouts from the cable look like this on the "strange" HX's:

    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •