Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Tandy Computers!

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Yes, but the problem is finding one at a good price. Those babies do not run cheap. Average around $400 for the unit itself, and more with the MPU-401 card.

Besides, unless you're using the RSX, you're playing for the Tandy 3-voice sound anyways. The 1000 RSX does have the chip, but they put it on a different port, so excluding the version of Deskmate made for that system, most games that advertise Tandy video/sound don't even know it's there. Only a RARE handful of games are capable of using the RSX's 3-voice chip.
    Not wrong, I was lucky add mine cost about 90 AUD a few years ago. I mainly use it on my k6-3 PC.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Average around $400 for the unit itself, and more with the MPU-401 card.
    Looks like $150-$200 might be the current eBay average in the U.S. Still high compared to a few years ago, when it was closer to $50. The good news is that you don't need an MPU-401 for a lot of things, provided you can spare a serial port.

Besides, unless you're using the RSX, you're playing for the Tandy 3-voice sound anyways. The 1000 RSX does have the chip, but they put it on a different port, so excluding the version of Deskmate made for that system, most games that advertise Tandy video/sound don't even know it's there. Only a RARE handful of games are capable of using the RSX's 3-voice chip.
    I generally appreciate the Tandy sound for titles where it represents "best" playback method, but I still like to have the option of choosing it when desired otherwise.

For what it's worth, applicable titles from Brøderbund, Disney, Sierra On-Line, and Virgin from about ~1990 onward tend to have native support for the alternate addressing of the 2500-class sound hardware. In addition, forum member "Scali" developed a TSR a few years back that, combined with some requisite hex editing, extends the compatibility even further. Through the latter ability, I'm able to play a large portion of the Sierra catalog with each game's ideal sound/music options on my RSX.

I'm in Canada, so that translates a bit higher up here. Also, note that the lower prices are for current bids, not buyout.

I remember reading somewhere that listed exactly which address the RSX and etc used for the 3-voice chip, but I've never been able to find it again.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

I'm in Canada, so that translates a bit higher up here. Also, note that the lower prices are for current bids, not buyout.
    Yep. It might be that results are masked differently depending on location, but going back to July 1st, the sales average that I'm seeing is $173 USD.

I remember reading somewhere that listed exactly which address the RSX and etc used for the 3-voice chip, but I've never been able to find it again.
    1000-class:
    00C0-00C3 (PSG)
    00C4-00C7 (DAC, where applicable)

2500-class*:
    01E0-01E3 (PSG)
    01E4-01E7 (DAC)

* The RLX is unique in that it responds to both sets of I/O addresses.

Here is my TRS-80 Model 3, with a Radio Shack Factory installed High Resolution Graphic Card, 48K, dual ssd drives, and a Langley St-Clair Amber Monitor.

Nice!!!!
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Apple's: IIc, Mac SE, LCII, LC630 & Power Mac G3/233 Desktop
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Here's a Tandy you don't see everyday

What does the motherboard look like?

My original Model 4 from 1984, with 1/2-height DSDD drives, 128KB RAM, Tandy 26-1126 Hi-Res graphics board, and Langley St. Clair amber CRT. It's displaying a picture of my HP 2113E exhibit from a previous VCF-East. Surprise: the OS is Montezuma Micro CP/M.

Model4Graphics.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bureau View Post
    Here is my TRS-80 Model 3, with a Radio Shack Factory installed High Resolution Graphic Card, 48K, dual ssd drives, and a Langley St-Clair Amber Monitor.
    Daymn. I'd love to get a model III or 4 at some point. Just something about the aesthetic that makes them seem like a cool machine to own! Unfortunately, they're pretty pricey, and the shipping charges are almost as bad!
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Debated waiting until the 5.25" drive was delivered but I'm just too thrilled with this recent 1000HX being finally together and working with its 640k expansion and CM-5 monitor.