Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Shareware Titles.

Quote Originally Posted by KenEG View Post
    PC-Write was my favorite word processor for a few years.
    +1. Back in the day (around 1983) when my school mates and I had brand new floppy only 5150 PCs and Epson MX-80 or Okidata ML82 dot matrix printers we all used PC-Write to write our school papers.

Kermit was also popular for BBS access and downloads, and for terminal emulation when remotely logging into the school computers (which were DECSYSTEM-20 systems at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Is there a comparable program for Linux?
    Can't say I've come across one (and I've been a Linux user since v0.95).

I started one as part of my ALFC (lua scripted two pan filemanager https://github.com/stu/alfc), the biggest problem is ncurses sucks vs dos's text mode memory addressing. you can fire it up as "alfc -list" to get 'list.com' mode. I never bothered to implement hex view mode in it tho.

Oh man memories:

Game: Castle Adventure, Not much else on the SW side until Wolfenstein - I think that was the point at which quality/high production value games started being offered as SW (really one level demos but you get the idea) It exploded after that, Wolfenstein, Quake, Captain Comic, Jack Jazzrabbit...

Utilities: Telix to be replaced by Telemate, Compushow, not really SW but Dir Magic distributed for free by PC Computing, HS Link (not a full fledged program but man when that protocol came on the scene...), DCF, and too many others I have forgotten...
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mmruzek View Post
    Found this shareware program quite by accident a few weeks ago... "DAQARTA for DOS". Turns your PC, XT, etc into a digital oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, data recorder using a Keithley DAS-16 card, or Sound Blaster, etc. This fellow really did a nice job on the software and the documentation is excellent. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

http://www.daqarta.com/intro.htm
    Looks interesting but confusing. The DOS pages say the SW is free to hobbyist but when you go to get a hobbyist license they want $30. I sent them an email - lets see if anything comes back. I may just add them to my list of SW authors who have sites up but don't respond ( a la modem doctor and compushow).
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!