Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: How do you setup and have room for all your Classic Computers?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    My new home has a basement space I can convert into an office. It has a large storage area with shelves as well. The challenge right now is that there is a high radon presence (I had it tested). Plus it had a serious mold infestation so the walls were opened up and drywall ceiling removed to allow a dehumidifier to treat the entire basement including the dirt floor (plastic sheet covered for insulation) crawl space. In case I want to turn it into an office I will need to have ventilation and HVAC installed in the space. Plus insulation, walls, flooring and a dropped ceiling. I would also need a bathroom obviously. Quite a project. Maybe in 2019.
    You can turn that into quite the computer museum/office/game room.. Though, after all that work there probably won't be any money left. Hah! I am a bit envious as I wish I had more space.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Cool

I will do a lot DIY. That is the main reason we decided to move to the countryside in a different state. Real estate has become unaffordable in most larger metro areas. In 2015 I went on a job interview in Thousand Oaks, CA. Never had the intention to actually accept an offer but it was a fun free trip. Hypothetically I could have more of the crawl space dug out and concrete poured to create an even lager basement but that would really break the bank.
    Last edited by PeterNC; September 21st, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    I will do a lot DIY. That is the main reason we decided to move to the countryside in a different state. Real estate has become unaffordable in most larger metro areas. In 2015 I went on a job interview in Thousand Oaks, CA. Never had the intention to actually accept an offer but it was a fun free trip. Hypothetically I could have more of the crawl space dug out and concrete poured to create an even lager basement but that would really break the bank.
    Thousand Oaks? How was that interview at Amgen. Honestly, don't know what other companies there are there.. haha. Yeah, when I retire, I'm definitely leaving Los Angeles (and California in general)... maybe sooner, who knows.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

Amgen was fine. Great food in their cafe. The funny thing is that I was terribly hungover from a job interview in Las Vegas, NV the day before.

I haven't bought shelves at Menard's, but I have bought tables.

A 3' x 6' utility table is a useful thing. I can get 3 units side by side on one table with room at front for a keyboard. I have considered, but not yet implemented, building a shelf on each table that's also 3' x 6', high enough to allow a desktop unit with monitor on top to sit comfortably on the original desktop.

Right now my "portables" (AKA luggables) sit closed up near a wall or under a table, so I don't trip over them.

For anyone considering this: don't get the ones that fold in the middle!! I had one collapse with only 1 system and some spare parts on it. The one I bought has a polyethylene top and supports up to 300 pounds. I've had one in my bedroom that holds a 5150, 5160, QX-10, and QX-16. Nary a creak.

EDIT: I said 3' x 6' above. It's actually 6' x 30". I was close. Either way, room for a desktop unit & keyboard.
    Last edited by Casey; Today at 07:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the testimonial and link -- you've solved a niggling problem for me. (going to pick one up today)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

I have one of those. If 300# is the rating, it's very conservative. I've climbed on mine to reach the back of a mixing board when there was at least 200# of gear on it. It didn't seem to mind.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I have this one. https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...4450878068.htm

Oh, no, keep the original disks! Maybe image them for preservation, but keep 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I have one of those. If 300# is the rating, it's very conservative. I've climbed on mine to reach the back of a mixing board when there was at least 200# of gear on it. It didn't seem to mind.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I have this one. https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...4450878068.htm
    Close; I have the 6' model.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Thanks so much for the testimonial and link -- you've solved a niggling problem for me. (going to pick one up today)

Not a problem. I think you'll be happy. They're pretty sturdy and fairly attractive to boot. Not to mention inexpensive. Try looking at tables on Craiglist. Yoicks!