Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How do you setup and have room for all your Classic Computers?

I don't really do anything for earthquake prep and like some of you I am in California earthquake zone. Most of my desk surfaces are mounted right to the wall via brackets screwed into the studs. My shelving is also bracketed to the studs and heavy duty. Of course the stuff could come flying off but if it is that big I am going to have bigger problems.

Fortunately, I have been able to slim down the collection this week by 2 iMac G3s, 2 17" CRTs (Apple) a few Commodore things and a few Power Macs and Performas. Still a little ways to go before I find the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I went once step further. My homebrew flood sensors turn off the water supply to my house.
    Not to digress, but I got one of those about 4 months ago, went outside to mount it, and it turns out the way my pipes are the device won't fit (where it goes would be blocked).. So it's now a project to figure out how/if I can cut the thing down and get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
    I don't really do anything for earthquake prep and like some of you I am in California earthquake zone. Most of my desk surfaces are mounted right to the wall via brackets screwed into the studs. My shelving is also bracketed to the studs and heavy duty. Of course the stuff could come flying off but if it is that big I am going to have bigger problems.

Fortunately, I have been able to slim down the collection this week by 2 iMac G3s, 2 17" CRTs (Apple) a few Commodore things and a few Power Macs and Performas. Still a little ways to go before I find the sweet spot.
    Also in So Cal... Funny how many socal folks are here, but yet there seem to be no Retro computer groups of any type (and retro computers themselves seem to be hard to track down).

Congrats on trimming down, I have to do so myself. I have a few items, including a huge ass Dot Matrix printer that I need to part with soon in order to clear up space. My shelving is also on studs and wall mounted, especially in the garage, but that won't stop it from flying off the shelves in the next earthquake which is likely coming soon given the time its been since the last one.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A

"How do you setup and have room for all your Classic Computers?"

I set up the stuff that looks nice and that I like to use and I pack the rest in a big closet.

Here's a shot of my desk this morning:

(The room's not smoky, it's the sun on the lens. But it looks a bit Blade Runner-like. Maybe I'll emboss "TYRELL CORP." on my chair. )

Guess all the computers and win! I'll pay the winner $1000! (...but you have to guess the ones in the room that are not visible in the photo.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

great thread. storage is something i have struggled with.

I mostly limit myself to my office/gameroom desk for the two or three i'm playing with. Currently a C64 and a TRS-80 model 1.

in the same room, the closet is filled with computers. shut the closet doors, and all is good. I also have a garage compartment with some monitors and computers. My rule is that I don't acquire more than i can keep in these spaces.

computer storage 1.jpg

computer storage 2.jpg

Oh, except for the old Macs tucked under my desk.

computer storage 3.jpg

Bought some new tables recently. With a small collection almost everything I have can be on display in my living room where they can be appreciated. Keyboards, spares and 4:3 LCD monitors stored in a spare room for testing, or reminiscing as required.

IMG_0047.jpg
    IBM 5170/5053, 2 x 5150/5051
    Sun IPC, Ultra1 and SPARCclassic with tape, disk and CD
    HP Apollo 9000/735
    Silicon Graphics Indy, O2
    Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100
    Apple Mac Plus, DEC 5000/25

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    "How do you setup and have room for all your Classic Computers?"

I set up the stuff that looks nice and that I like to use and I pack the rest in a big closet.

Here's a shot of my desk this morning:

(The room's not smoky, it's the sun on the lens. But it looks a bit Blade Runner-like. Maybe I'll emboss "TYRELL CORP." on my chair. )

Guess all the computers and win! I'll pay the winner $1000! (...but you have to guess the ones in the room that are not visible in the photo.)
    I won't guess the computers, but that is a super impressive display you have there... and not even the normal 'retro' stuff that most of us have, super unique.
    Retro PC's: Apple IIe, Atari 800, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 3000, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TI-99/4A