Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCE: VCF East XIII 8085 Single Board Computer

Quote Originally Posted by RizThomas View Post
    Hello,
    I am interested in purchasing one complete kit..either VCF Special Edition or standard board. Please let me know how can I go about it. Thanks
    You'll have to wait for me to get more components in, if you want a full kit. I used up my stock of 8085s and 8251As. They will probably be available in a week or two, since everything has to be shipped.

I picked up a kit when I visited VCF East on Friday. Very nice, went together easily even without instructions.
    Not sure if it was suppose to be programmed but the flash in my kit was empty.

Is there a GlitchWorks Monitor IO Module for this board available?

https://github.com/chapmajs/glitchwo...ter/io_modules

Thank you!

There's one available but it hasn't been committed to GitHub -- the 8251 module can be tweaked for it, but I can also just upload the ROM image if you have an EEPROM programmer. That way, you'll get the ROM FS bootloader, IMSAI BASIC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    There's one available but it hasn't been committed to GitHub -- the 8251 module can be tweaked for it, but I can also just upload the ROM image if you have an EEPROM programmer. That way, you'll get the ROM FS bootloader, IMSAI BASIC, etc.
    I do have an EEPROM programmer. I am just learning the 8085 so anything you can provide will be a big help.

I'm eagerly awaiting options for bus expansion - I've been running some type in BASIC games on mine for now and found it to be stable.

I'll also be interested when a Shugart type disk interface becomes available

-J
    My Site (under construction!) | My Apple Lisa 2/10

Question

Had a great time building this kit! Before leaving the hackerspace, I made sure to get the bootrom programmed and we got the user LED flashing.

However, since bringing it home, I haven't been able to successfully establish a serial connection to the computer. I only get garbage on screen, even after hitting the reset button on the SBC. I think I'm missing something pretty obvious; hopefully someone here can help?

serial-garbage.jpg

I'm using a 5V-logic FTDI cable from Amazon and PuTTY on Windows. I made a simple breakout adapter to split the 6-pin connector into six 1-pin connectors.

I've attempted to connect all of the console pins on the board to the cable as well as leaving RTS unconnected.

Below are the settings in Putty at the time I took the above screenshot, but I've also attempted to adjust the speed with the same results.

• 9600 baud (Matches current jumper setting on board)
    • Data bits: 8
    • Stop bits: 1
    • Parity: none
    • Flow control: none

Should I be using a different cable? Where did I screw up? Thanks!!!

I haven't finished building mine, but if I understand correctly then the serial signal is converted to RS-232 by the Max232 chip before it gets sent out. Your cable is likely made for a TTL signal, and needs to be converted to RS-232 by a similar chip in order to communicate. There's some discussion about it in other threads on this site, or google

One question that I have regarding the serial output is: since the MAX232 is socketed, is it possible to remove the chip and connect the pins in a way that bypasses the capacitors to use the TTL signal instead? I've found one thread that discusses it, so it at least sounds possible

Quote Originally Posted by matt.c View Post

I'm using a 5V-logic FTDI cable from Amazon and PuTTY on Windows.
    You want to use a normal RS232 cable, not a TTL cable.
    My Site (under construction!) | My Apple Lisa 2/10

Quote Originally Posted by 68km View Post
    One question that I have regarding the serial output is: since the MAX232 is socketed, is it possible to remove the chip and connect the pins in a way that bypasses the capacitors to use the TTL signal instead? I've found one thread that discusses it, so it at least sounds possible
    I'd just plug a DIP header into the MAX232 socket and solder up a cable for your TTL board. You can even deliver +5V power through the MAX232 socket, if you're not using expansion boards.