Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The perennial problem of 360k drives on Windows XP

Blog Entries

I went and dug out an old XP system (an NForce-3A Socket 754 box*) and got updated and took care of a couple of drivers.

Early SP3 XP sort of stumbles with the 360K drive and gives an error. Having written floppy kernel-mode layers for NT and 2K for embroidery software vendors, I suspect that this was intentional. If I had to dig out my old code, I'd probably blow a fuse. The point is that the XP and 2K floppy driver is very different from NT 4 in that MS "split" the driver into a low-level FDC interface part and a higher-level floppy-specific part. It's the latter part that MS borked (intentionally).

Fortunately, Simon Owen's low-level access package can get around this stuff, right up to Win7, AFAIK.

As for myself, I'll go back to Linux and 98SE if I need to fiddle. In general, I'm done with Microsoft.

-------------------------
    Socket 754, although supposedly a budget architecture is vastly underrated; it can run VirtualBox just fine, where the later Socket 939 lacks AMD-VT support. Go figure--I think AMD-VT doesn't appear again until Socket AM2. Socket 939 did offer multiple cores, which may have been an attraction, but I understand that sales were uninspiring.

That's cool but without file level transaction support it's kinda useless. I mean I (most of us here) have plenty of other systems with 360kB drives that can read and write disk images with IMD or similar.

Blog Entries

Since DOS floppies use FAT12 filesystems, it'd be trivial to provide a simple CLI utility to provide basic 360K functions (format, delete, copy, list). But don't look at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ...Fortunately, Simon Owen's low-level access package can get around this stuff, right up to Win7, AFAIK.

As for myself, I'll go back to Linux and 98SE if I need to fiddle. In general, I'm done with Microsoft.
    I just tried that utility but made zero difference on my tweener Win 2k, No big deal, I've decided to remove 2k and will probably extend the 98SE partition.

Since DOS floppies use FAT12 filesystems, it'd be trivial to provide a simple CLI utility to provide basic 360K functions (format, delete, copy, list). But don't look at me.
    man is writing new software your solution to everything

Blog Entries

Probably. It's what I do.

I'm sure someone asked this but I'll ask it again. Did you check the drive selects? They are different for a twist cable than a straight cable controller?
    Dwight

Blog Entries

360K floppy support is really gone in XP (or at least fatally broken). Using XP Pro SP3 as a base, one can boot into MSDOS off a 360K floppy just fine. BIOS setup recognizes it as what it is.

Try making some system-level calls to get even the geometry of the drive (IOCTL) and it will report the number of cylinders as 80. Low-level sector read calls do return data, but with an error--and there appears to be a restore/seek issued every time the cylinder number is advanced.

The XP drivers are truly borked. Simon Owen's utility should work if installed correctly--it's just a low-level kernel-mode interface to the FDC.

Blog Entries

I've been following this thread with some interest. As usual, always excellent info and tidbits from Chuck and Dwight on the inner workings of things that most of us know very little about. Other than the "I just wanna be able to" factor, why would you want to use a 360 floppy with XP in the first place, as it is so much easier just to dual or triple boot a machine?. I'm assuming of course that the reference is to a 'tweener'. Personally, I have a few caddy's of 360's that only feed my 1000SX.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Simon Owen's utility should work if installed correctly--it's just a low-level kernel-mode interface to the FDC.
    There's only 3 clicks of the mouse needed to install, No decisions to be made, It made zero difference on Win 2000, I still couldn't access the 360k, I've removed 2k now and just boot between DOS and 98SE. Strangely on my P4 PC a recent new build running DOS, 98SE, 2K and XP i noticed i can not format a 720k 3.5" floppy in XP via command line, 1.44Mb are fine. I tried that utility in XP to see if it would remedy the issue with the 720k but nope.