Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The perennial problem of 360k drives on Windows XP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    There's only 3 clicks of the mouse needed to install, No decisions to be made, It made zero difference on Win 2000, I still couldn't access the 360k, I've removed 2k now and just boot between DOS and 98SE. Strangely on my P4 PC a recent new build running DOS, 98SE, 2K and XP i noticed i can not format a 720k 3.5" floppy in XP via command line, 1.44Mb are fine. I tried that utility in XP to see if it would remedy the issue with the 720k but nope.
    Never had a problem with the 720 3.5's in XP. Could you provide a little more info on your P4?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

ABIT IC7 MAX 3 mobo, P4 3 GHz, 2 gig RAM 160Gb and 80Gb Hard drives, 1 x 1.44Mb floppy drive. It's not a problem 720k floppy's format fine in 2K Win 98 and DOS on the same PC, When i try to format 720k in XP i get an error, "The device is busy" every time, If i use a 1.44 it formats fine.

Blog Entries

ABIT IC7 MAX 3 mobo, P4 3 GHz, 2 gig RAM 160Gb and 80Gb Hard drives, 1 x 1.44Mb floppy drive. It's not a problem 720k floppy's format fine in 2K Win 98 and DOS on the same PC, When i try to format 720k in XP i get an error, "The device is busy" every time, If i use a 1.44 it formats fine.
    Are you using FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9 from the command line? Also, any chance that you could swap out your 3.5 floppy drive?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Setup the 360k drive as a 1.2mb drive in the bios and XP sees it, the trouble then becomes how to write to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Are you using FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9 from the command line?
    Yep
    Also, any chance that you could swap out your 3.5 floppy drive?
    The drive works perfectly fine in DOS, 98 2k with formatting 720k floppy's, Not sure another drive would make a difference but i'll try it sometime tomorrow and report back.

Blog Entries

What's the chipset for your P4 system? XP and later can require the manufacturer's chipset drivers be installed for best performance.

Intel i875, All the drivers are installed from the original driver cd, I bought the Mobo new years ago but never used it for some reason and forgot all about it, I found it not long back. Can't remember if i got all the XP updates though, I think i did but will double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Are you using FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9 from the command line? Also, any chance that you could swap out your 3.5 floppy drive?
    that's that same command line I use to format 720s in 1.44mb drives on a Vista machine without issue

also you were asking "why have 360kB FDD in XP?" my use case would have been to have a modern-ish machine that's capable of web browsing and SMB networking with current windows boxes with the convenience of windows explorer access to the DD floppies

There's only 3 clicks of the mouse needed to install, No decisions to be made, It made zero difference on Win 2000, I still couldn't access the 360k, I've removed 2k now and just boot between DOS and 98SE. Strangely on my P4 PC a recent new build running DOS, 98SE, 2K and XP i noticed i can not format a 720k 3.5" floppy in XP via command line, 1.44Mb are fine. I tried that utility in XP to see if it would remedy the issue with the 720k but nope.
    I'm not sure you understand what Chuck is saying - the driver is not going to magically make the 360kB floppy drive work in explorer or from CMD, it's only a hardware driver for the FDC and would require additional software layers to make the 360kB FDD usable as a drive letter

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I'm not sure you understand what Chuck is saying -
    Probably not, As i said before it's more of an annoyance than anything, Which i can get around by re-booting into a different OS other than Win 2000 or XP on the same PC.