Image Map Image Map

Thread: TRS-80 Model II power up information. Thank you!

Default TRS-80 Model II power up information. Thank you!

Greetings all!

I have a model II and just plugged it in and turned it on for the first time in about 30+ years.
    Fans came on, the red led comes on, but there is nothing appearing on the screen.

My question is: Does it need the boot disk to be loaded before it will show anything on the screen? I currently do not have the boot disk inserted.

Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy2112 View Post
    Greetings all!

I have a model II and just plugged it in and turned it on for the first time in about 30+ years.
    Fans came on, the red led comes on, but there is nothing appearing on the screen.

My question is: Does it need the boot disk to be loaded before it will show anything on the screen? I currently do not have the boot disk inserted.

Thanks for any info.
    If the machine was working correctly, you would get an all white screen with the text "INSERT DISKETTE" in the middle. So, you do have some issues.

Here are a few starting tips.

Did you check the brightness knob?

Do you see a glow on the back of the CRT neck?

Open the case and try reseating all the cards in the cage with the power off. Check all the connectors to the cards. Are all four cards present?

Check the CRT connector on the rear of the CRT neck. Be gentle as this is a delicate area of the tube.

Check that the power supply is outputting the correct voltages. You can check these at certain pins on an open card slot with the machine powered on. See the Model II Technical Reference Manual for pins to check.

***Pay attention to the power supply/CRT side of the machine when AC is connected. There are exposed components there that can hurt you if you're not careful.***

Let us know how you make out.