Image Map Image Map

Thread: CP/NET or DR/NET

Blog Entries

Default CP/NET or DR/NET

Just been reading up on DRIs CPM/CCPM variants on google groups(UseNet) and came across the mention of CP/NET(8-bit) and DR/NET(16-bit). Apparently they were used to connect various CCPM systems to share files. Apparently it predated Netware by a substantial margin. I'm curious to know how this was achieved both software and hardware wise.

Heres the the thread I've found it mentioned in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...pm/nkmmXatScLk

Interesting enough it also mentions in the thread you can multi-task on an XT class system despite what MS said.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; April 20th, 2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Yup--don't forget Concurrent DOS. And MP/M-86 was available for the XT as well, if you wanted to go multi-user.

Then, (crossing threads), there was Novell's netware running on Televideo's 80186 PM/16 system for multi-user shared-access. Incidentally, the PM/16 used 96 tpi floppies formatted to 740K (8 sector/512 byte).

DRIs CP/NET (8bit).

This came in two parts: the client based upon CP/M 2.2 (for 8080) plus network additions and the server based upon MP/M 80 with network additions.

The client consisted of CP/M 2.2 BIOS + BDOS to which a SNIOS (providing network i/o primitives akin to the i/o primitives supplied by the BIOS) plus NDOS ( a network filing system, extending the BDOS filing to support remote files, record locking, and machine to machine communications) were added together with a modified version of CCP providing enhanced command line user interface and understanding mapping of drives, record locking and unlocking, and login/off.

DRIs initial CP/NET 1 was based upon serial connections working at 9k6 so was quite slow. At the time I worked for Research Machines Ltd (RML later to become RM Plc), RML produced the 380Z, a Z80 CP/M computer for UK Education. They were an early CP/NET OEM and had an implementation based upon GPIB ( IEEE488 ) instrumentation bus for the 380Z. This network was at least 10 x faster than any DRI had and highlighted timing problems within CP/NET. So, several 380Z computers plus Dave Raggett and myself were shipped over to Pacific Grove to facilitate investigation of the timing issues.

Shortly afterwards RML negotiated the use of Zilog’s Z-NET low level network technology. This was a low cost CSMA/CD system similar to Ethernet but operated at 800 Kbps over 50 Ohm coax. This was incorporated into the then new Link 480Z workstation and launched as RM Chain. Initially based upon CP/NET 1.2 for the client and MP/M (80) running on a modified 380Z for the server. Later iterations of the server first used MP/M 86 running on the RM NIMBUS PC186 followed by CCP/M 86.

Peter
    Last edited by peterbbu; June 6th, 2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Interesting enough it also mentions in the thread you can multi-task on an XT class system despite what MS said.
    I used PC-MIX on my 286 for years to run three programs simultaneously and it works on an 8088 just as well.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen