Image Map Image Map

Thread: Replacing blue EL backlight?

Blog Entries

Default Replacing blue EL backlight?

Just curious but can you replace the blue EL backlight on early LCD portables and laptops with a less eye-straining white backlight, EL or otherwise? Has anyone done it before?
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

I wouldn't want to even if I could, because the aqua "Indiglo" color looks so cool!

But if there was enough demand, certainly such a thing could be made. For example, you can get a modern LED backlight to retrofit into a Nintendo Game Boy.

Blog Entries

Certainly doable, but largely depends on the size of the panel. 10x10cm kits with inverter are as common as dirt; other sizes might be more difficult.

Blog Entries

I seem to recall someone did an EL mod for a Macintosh portable a few years ago. The EL panels come in standard sizes and everything else becomes rather expensive special orders.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    I wouldn't want to even if I could, because the aqua "Indiglo" color looks so cool!

But if there was enough demand, certainly such a thing could be made. For example, you can get a modern LED backlight to retrofit into a Nintendo Game Boy.
    Indiglo is a really nice color, I'm talking about the off color that old 8088 and 286 laptops had. See the Tandy 1400LT screen. That isnt indiglo, but a blue slightly below full saturation and I hate it.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

I replaced the failing green EL backlight on my Apple Newton with a blue one. It was very straightforward but I suppose your mileage may vary

Cheers,

Andy.