Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macintosh SE/30: Prognosis grim, what's my best option here?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Why cider vinegar instead of plain distilled white vinegar? Is it because of the apples?
    Well Yeah! "Its got what plants crave.."

I dont know why, but where I am its just cheaper then plain distilled. I mean It doesn't matter one way or another, whichever is cheaper right?

When done, I bottle it back up for future use. I keep about 8 gallons on hand in the garage.
    Last edited by VERAULT; April 23rd, 2018 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

It's the reverse here. I keep cider (and wine) vinegar around for food prep, but the white stuff for cleaning. (A gallon will just about fill a medium-sized tuba).

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    What I do on these boards is a full acid soak (fully submerged in OTC cider vinegar $1.25 a gallon for 1 to 2 weeks)
    A week? Jesus, are you trying to eat the whole board away?

I just soak the affected area in a tub with an aquarium pump running over it to keep the vinegar circulating, usually a few hours is enough to neutralize battery goo.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Well Yeah! "Its got what plants crave.."

I dont know why, but where I am its just cheaper then plain distilled. I mean It doesn't matter one way or another, whichever is cheaper right?

When done, I bottle it back up for future use. I keep about 8 gallons on hand.
    Distilled vinegar is better because it doesn't have other stuff in it which can be deposited on the motherboard. I definitely wouldn't reuse it more than a couple of times since its leeching heavy metals, old battery chemicals and other nasty things off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    A week? Jesus, are you trying to eat the whole board away?

I just soak the affected area in a tub with an aquarium pump running over it to keep the vinegar circulating, usually a few hours is enough to neutralize battery goo.

Distilled vinegar is better because it doesn't have other stuff in it which can be deposited on the motherboard. I definitely wouldn't reuse it more than a couple of times since its leeching heavy metals, old battery chemicals and other nasty things off the board.
    I went back and grabbed the other SE/30 the guy had. It at least displays vertical lines on the monitor, but doesn't work. I pulled it apart, and the motherboard is immaculate, so I assume it's the SE/30 bad cap problem. Not a spot of corrosion anywhere on this beauty thank god!

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    I went back and grabbed the other SE/30 the guy had. It at least displays vertical lines on the monitor, but doesn't work. I pulled it apart, and the motherboard is immaculate, so I assume it's the SE/30 bad cap problem. Not a spot of corrosion anywhere on this beauty thank god!
    I was able to revive the second SE/30. No battery leakage, no cap corrosion, but it had the zebra-stripe screen and extremely quiet beep noise.

I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, powered it on, and immediately one of the tantalum capacitors exploded in a shower of sparks and a cloud of smoke. Turns out the stripe on tantalum caps means POSITIVE, not negative. I desoldered all the SMD caps again, cleaned it up, ordered new ones, and re-installed them. Still didn't fix the screen, but the "slow chimes" boot sound was much, much louder, so I assumed this was progress.

I finally pulled the motherboard out again, swapped memory around, and found out that the first four sticks of ram must have an issue, it boots fine with the second bank installed in slots 1 - 4.

Hard drive is dead, but the mac itself lives!