Thread: THE128RM (The 128 Remastered)

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    I wonder which version of the VIC...
    VIC-II
    ...and VDC it uses.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
    Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
    June 9-19 Pacific Commodore Expo NW 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
    Aug. 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    And that is why I havent prioritized repairing my C128....... IT works in C64 mode... so it works. 'nuff said
    I don't know that there's a better CP/M machine than a C128.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I wish that were true, but in reality they were pretty slow in CP/M mode, although there are a few replacement BIOS's that speed it up a little.

Having said that, lots of business did buy them purely as a cheap CP/M machine. One thing I really liked is that the 1571 disk drive could read so many different formats.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Disk access aside?

Seems pretty slow as a CP/M machine...especially next to my ADAM.

I wonder if it has the distinction of being the last commercially produced CP/M machine?

As long as there is a home brew community that moniker wont last long.

As long as there is a home brew community that moniker wont last long.
    Granted, anyone with the skills to do so could make a CP/M machine. I'm just wondering aloud if it was the last mass-produced one.

Dont know, when did CP/M die off from mainstream use? 1986? Im sure there were smaller named computers. Even Kaypro probably sold a CP/M machine till the last possible minute

Dont know, when did CP/M die off from mainstream use? 1986? Im sure there were smaller named computers. Even Kaypro probably sold a CP/M machine till the last possible minute
    I believe WordStar 4.0 was the last mainstream application to have a CP/M version, released in 1987. By 1984-1985 most people and businesses were already jumping ship from CP/M to PC/MS-DOS. Kaypro was the last holdout selling CP/M machines, which they discontinued in 1986.

The C128 wasn't really meant to have the Z80 CPU or CP/M capability. In development they discovered that it was incompatible with the C64's CP/M cartridge, so the "fix" was to simply build the Z80 CPU into the machine!

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    The C128 wasn't really meant to have the Z80 CPU or CP/M capability. In development they discovered that it was incompatible with the C64's CP/M cartridge, so the "fix" was to simply build the Z80 CPU into the machine!
    That is some crazy right there. I've read a few things about Commodore, but I really don't understand why they made some of the decisions they did.

The MAX system with 2KB as a predecessor of the C64? Why? Did they think it would be a cartridge only machine and that 2K was enough scratch ram for a cartridge?

I don't understand the C128 either. I remember wanting one, but it seems like too much compatibility and not enough of something new.

And why all the models? They seemed to go model crazy.

I fully admit to not knowing what I am talking about when it comes to Commodore though. First computer was a VIC-20 and my dad bought the C64 at some point later. I remember that first $8 single sided single density floppy disk and the 1541 though!