Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for a working PDP 11/8? or 11/9? running RSTS/E

Default Looking for a working PDP 11/8? or 11/9? running RSTS/E

I've always wanted my own PDP 11 but can never seem to find one. Also want an LA 32 DECWriter terminal.

Let me know if this is an impossible request or ???

Dave

A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoDave View Post
    I've always wanted my own PDP 11 but can never seem to find one. Also want an LA 32 DECWriter terminal.

Dave
    PM me if you're interested.
    If you would settle for an LSI-11 system, I have one that I am willing to part with. If you want a "big iron" system you will have a harder time. PM me if you are interested.

Blog Entries

Dave
    Certainly not impossible, depends how much work you are willing to put in acquiring and configuring and testing various boards & peripherals.

Or how much $$$ you are willing to fork out if you just want to buy a fully running and configured system, and just want to plug it in and go.

So first question would be how comfortable you are searching out boards and peripherals and a box+p/s to hold them? And/or learning how to do this?

Don

Dave
    Dave,
    It is certainly not impossible to obtain a PDP-11/83 or 11/93 these days. The question is really what Don asked how much are you willing to assemble something from parts (waiting for them to pop up) versus trying to get something sooner and assembled. The 11/83 CPUs are more common and less expensive than the 11/93 and are really only 11/83s when you have PMI memory. One vendor who still has a good inventory of parts and will test everything before the ship it is Keyways. I have bought a number of things from a BA123 box to MINC modules to a LAN40 (look it up a very nice way to do Serial, LAT, Telnet, and DECnet SET HOST with a LCD screen). I have bought “new” UC07 SCSI controllers which when combined with the SCSI2SD cards are the best way to set up a PDP-11 because you can move a Simh disk image right to a microSD and boot from it.

By the way for you SCSI2SD card fans there is now a new version V5.1 It is software compatible with the V5 but uses SDCARDs like the V6 so changing cards is easier. Also the mounting config is the same as the V6 cards.

At any rate Dave if the real PDP is too expensive also check out Oscar’s PiDP-11/70 which will be soon available and will have RSTS as one of the operating systems.

Best,
    Mark

Yes, a Q-bus M8190 KDJ11-B system shouldn't be too hard to put together from parts you get from here and there, although if you do it by acquiring parts separately, as it is with most things, it would probably end up costing more than if you could find a fairly complete system somewhere.

If you want a UNIBUS PDP-11/84, that would probably cost a lot more as those seem a lot less common, and putting one of those together from parts might be more difficult. An M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board and M8637 MSV11-J memory boards are fairly easy, an PDP-11/84 chassis and backplane and other PDP-11/84 specific parts are more difficult.

Stepping up to an M8981 KDJ11-E 11/93 or 11/94 could easily push you well over the $1000 mark just for the CPU board alone based on typical asking prices I have seen for those. Although there was that one that sold earlier this year in the UK for under $800. I imagine that might have gone for a lot more if it was in the US. Also, it was being sold AS-IS.
    www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?61889-PDP11-83-upgraded-to-93-for-sale-in-UK-on-ebay

I am considering finding a new home for my 11/84. It's just too heavy for me to move anymore with my back.
    It's a great unit, and fully loaded with 4MW RAM, UDA50, UC-17, and some other boards. It would also come
    with a VT340 and if desired my logic analyser and older scope. I have a SCSI2 connected to the UC-17 along
    with an older 1G SCSI drive so I can boot BSD or RSTS. Once I moved from Broomfield in Colorado to
    Aurora it's been in the garage. Like I said too heavy for me to move. I always enjoyed using it and it's
    never failed to perform.

I have the parts to assemble an 11/83, it's on the "soon after VCF East" pile of project work. IF that's your bag, OP'er, building from parts is a fun way to do it on the cheap. I have been assembling notes how to accomplish this on my web site here, much of it from this forum:
    http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=716
    (notes and links on how to convert a DECServer 550 to an 11/83)
    Bill
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

I've been sitting on my PDP-11/73 and VT420 that I listed on here last year. Couple bites but no one has wanted to actually buy. I think there is a larger market of these PDPs available just people not usually local to the system and shipping it is a scary proposition to some.