Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disk Box Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's still not too late. I've got some NOS. How many do ya' want?

I've got some labels, too. Good labels with adhesive that sticks and stays stuck!
    Well, of the sleeves, about a 100 of them would probably get me by.. What do they cost?

The labels I don't really care about, since just about anything works for labels and the way times change so fast, they don't need to stay that long.. haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you want something really retro for 3.5" floppies, I suspect that one of the filing cabinets used for IBM 96-column cards would be the cat's whiskers.

Haha, i have a feeling that would be harder to track down then disk boxes.

Luckily i only have a couple disk boxes and i'm really not looking to go down that rabbit hole with random disk boxes.. my OCD would flare up. Just want to find something that works, get enough matching ones I need, and move everything over to those..

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Honestly I always get a couple from the seller of vintage computers Im buying whenever they have them. I got at least a half dozen from the goodwill too. They are out there. Whenever I see 5.25" boxes or disks I gettem.
    I see 3 1/2 on rare occasions at the goodwills here, but I never see 5 1/4 here. I was in Arizona the other day and stopped at one there and they actually had a couple 5 1/4 disk boxes, i was pretty suprised.. they were in pretty bad shape even if I wanted to figure out how to get them back (which i didn't). Suprisingly, in LA, the retro scene both on craigslist and thrift stores, etc, is pretty non existent for whatever reason. My friend in portland however is always finding all kinds of stuff and gloating about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Well, of the sleeves, about a 100 of them would probably get me by.. What do they cost?

The labels I don't really care about, since just about anything works for labels and the way times change so fast, they don't need to stay that long.. haha!
    Here's some for reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Floppy-Disk...p2047675.l2557 $.60 each (these are not new)

http://www.datarecoverymasters.com/buy-floppy-disks/ 10 for $10.00 plus $4.94 shipping

None of those are mine (obviously). They're just examples of what's out there.

You can PM me with a reasonable offer for the number you want and we'll go from there.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You can PM me with a reasonable offer for the number you want and we'll go from there.
    Thanks for the offer. Realizing you likely offer a better deal then those vendors, I don't think this really makes sense for me to get when it's likely many of my disks don't work, or won't work much longer, so i'll probably be freeing up some sleeves anyway. Plus, at the $10/10 Sleeves those people are charging, it would make more sense to go to floppydisk.com and buy a 10 pack of floppy disks.

As an aside to this thread, for now I've just picked up a couple of $6 13x13 half height bins from target.. I have a bunch of dividers from old broken disks boxes i tossed (but kept the dividers) that i'm going to use to separate and label things. (pic attached, though this is just thrown in there for now, i haven't started the organization process). This won't work for people who have 1000's of disks, but this will get me by until i come up with a solution i like better.

disk box.jpg

Just to add to this thread, I had picked up the following storage unit to actually store some accessories next to my retro display, and it seemed like the disk size so I checked it, and yeah, the drawers actually fit 5 1/4 inch disks perfectly. I'm probably not going to use it for that, since I don't have that many of them to fill this up... but figured i should let folks reading this thread in the future know about this option as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076T79FWZ

storage.jpg

(just a note, they do fit perfect and it does close fine even with the dividers, i just pulled up the back one so they didn't fall down for the picture.. )